#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

For Charlotte we will need to stay on Tuesday July 16th somewhere in the Uptown (better known as Downtown in most other cities) area. Keep in mind we have a very early morning departure on Wednesday morning the 17th, so you must get yourself to the Amtrak station well in advance of the 7 AM departure of the Carolinian.

From experience I know that the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) and Hampton Inn (both on Martin Luther King Drive) are in the same complex (with what appears to be a condo apartment building in between). They share a shuttle that will take you directly to and from the Amtrak station. I cannot speak for other hotels but you should check with them. The HGI now appears to be sold out for the 16th, but the Hampton still has space. These 2 hotels collectively are about 2 short blocks from a LYNX station.

There is also a Hilton of which the back door of the hotel lobby is practically on the same LYNX station platform. Most other major chains have properties in the Uptown area, and a few are clustered around the Woodlawn Road station south of Uptown.

Charlotte hotels

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

From experience I know that the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) and Hampton Inn (both on Martin Luther King Drive) are in the same complex (with what appears to be a condo apartment building in between). They share a shuttle that will take you directly to and from the Amtrak station. I cannot speak for other hotels but you should check with them. The HGI now appears to be sold out for the 16th, but the Hampton still has space. These 2 hotels collectively are about 2 short blocks from a LYNX station.

Charlotte hotels

It appears that the Hampton Inn Uptown is now sold out also.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the news, even if it isn't great. I checked the nearby Convention Center's calendar of events, and the only thing taking place on July 16th is what appears to be a teachers convention. We have Steve on our side who can help us fend them off. :)

This could mean that other hotels are filling up too; I haven't checked lately. It is a wakeup call though if you haven't yet reserved a hotel for Charlotte.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Oh no. Not teachers. Don't worry. They take taxis not transit.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Oh no. Not teachers. Don't worry. They take taxis not transit.

Yes but they are going to take up hotel rooms and restaurant seats.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well my room is booked. Restaurants we can beat them with advance planning in an iPhone.

#7 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm at the Hampton Inn Uptown.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

For those who don't already have accommodations in Charlotte or are waiting for availability or cheaper prices.... The Doubletree in Uptown Charlotte is now showing an AAA rate of $116 for that night. As I've said it's across town from the other hotels, but they claim to be 6 blocks from the Convention Center, which is not too bad if you don't mind the walk and wish to save some money. Even if the others eventually have space once more I don't think they will come down that far in price.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

The teacher's conference deadline for booking rooms at the contracted conference rates is this Wednesday, June 5. I just checked, and conference rooms for night of July 16 are available at all the contracted hotels. This means that those rooms within the conference block may be released for public booking on Thursday. Anyone who was unable to book a specific desired property due to it being listed as "sold out" might find rooms available come Thursday. Public rates may also come down with the additional inventory added. It will be worth checking to see if existing reservations can be modified to a lower rate.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Bill, Thanks, something to remember to look at on Thursday. I don't think anyone would mind lower rates. The Marriott currently shows cheapest rooms well over 300 bucks for that night, and the Westin has no vacancies at all, so should anyone be considering those, released inventory would be welcome. Looking further, if you don't mind being south of Uptown (which might be a liability considering the 7 AM Amtrak departure), the hotels around the Woodlawn LYNX station all have availability, with rates in the $50 to $70 range for the Woodlawn Inn, Days Inn, and Ramada, and $119 for Four Points by Sheraton.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users