#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

I finally completed the last of the pages needed for this Fest, the scanner frequencies for Kansas City. I had done Dallas, Chicago, and St. Louis for previous Fests. All links on the Fest homepage are now active.

However this probably will be the last Fest where I will do scanner frequencies, especially for new cities we visit. It is becoming harder (and time consuming) to obtain this information online as there is no known central source that has Amtrak, freight, commuter rail, and transit frequencies in one place, if they are anywhere at all.  We have a list of Amtrak frequencies on our sister static website, and from that we get some freight train channels where Amtrak & freight trains share the tracks.  But many local transit authorities, if they communicate by radio at all, use frequencies outside of the range that normal railroad scanners can pick up.

And the other thing is, how many people still travel with them in 2017?  I own one, but I haven't taken mine with me in many years -- not for lack of interest, but rather a weight issue (not me, the scanner itself and its power cord).  In addition, with the proliferation of smart phones, has anyone yet invented an app that allows a phone to perform these functions?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

I still carry mine. I have yet t find an app. iPhones can't pick up radio signals.

There is PC software that offers a dispatcher's view of the railroad. This would also be a cool app.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users