#1 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

4915baae-bbc1-478e-b618-61551ef0bbd1.pngM

Metra Monthly Commuter Newsletter                                          March 2018

20c2185b-4b2a-4b8e-8f55-fc3224845b12.jpg

Metra moves to buy newer engines

The Metra Board of Directors has authorized the purchase of up to 21 used F59PHI locomotives for $1.3 million each, allowing Metra to quickly supplement its locomotive fleet while continuing the pursuit of a longer-term procurement of new or remanufactured locomotives. The F59PHIs were built by General Motors’ Electro-Motive Division in 1998 and have, in most cases, been rehabbed within the last 5 years. These locomotives have similar parts and operating characteristics to Metra’s existing fleet of EMD F40s, some of which are 41 years old and in need of overhaul.

e9c144ee-201b-4f07-bf16-7095bb6d3c31.jpg
Fighting ice with fire

On cold winter days, you may have seen the open flames licking the rails at some Metra switching points. It’s a pretty sight but we admit it can be a bit unnerving watching your train roll over fire. Despite popular belief, the tracks themselves are not on fire. Instead, the flames are part of gas-fed systems that run adjacent to the rail to generate heat on the critical points where the switches make contact with the rail and allow trains to safely cross from one track to another. If contact is disrupted, the switches default to a “fail-safe” mode, signals turn red and rail traffic stops. The heaters help keep the switches clear by preventing a buildup of frost and ice. When the snow and ice fall too fast or fall from the underside of a passing train, the switches still need to be cleared manually with brooms, shovels or picks.

e4b87541-3163-47b3-ba86-8ae6844daeb1.png

WHAT'S IN A NAME?  

Can you tell me the reason why METX#100 was renamed from the “Ernest S. Marsh” to the “Village of La Grange” when that locomotive was wrapped in the 40th Anniversary livery? By extension, I would like to know why the locomotive was originally named after the former ATSF president.
Michael

Easy. METX100 was renamed the Village of La Grange to honor the town where all these locomotives were built by General Motors’ Electro-Motive Division. Naming locomotives after actual people is an infrequent practice at Metra, with most named after the localities we serve. Marsh, who passed away in 1975, was the chairman/CEO of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (ATSF), the predecessor of today’s BNSF Railway. According to an obituary we found, he was appointed to the RTA Board in 1974. At that time, Metra did not exist and the RTA was responsible for overseeing commuter rail operations. There are several other locomotives named after the original members of the RTA Board, one named after a BNSF conductor killed in the line of duty and our personal favorite, Locomotive 401, the Oliver “Ollie” Tibbles, named for a young Make a Wish recipient who had expressed his desire to be a train.

CHECKING IT TWICE  

I’m responding to the article in this month’s On the Bi-Level regarding Metra amping up fare collection on the trains.  While I think it’s a wonderful thing, please remind ALL of the conductors that when they come through to audit tickets, especially the One-Way Tickets, they make sure to give the tickets back to us after they punch it.  If they take the ticket, we have no proof that we paid and we’re left to haggle with the conductor.  It’s happened before. And yes, the customer should also remember to ask for the ticket back but the standard practice should be that the conductor automatically hands it back to the customer.
Adona

Consider the reminder delivered. Thanks.

A HELPING HAND

So tired of hearing passengers gripe about other passengers!  So, to the two Rock Island travelers, either on the Rock Island Joliet or Blue Island trains the afternoon of Feb. 19 who helped me to my feet after slipping and falling onto the escalator going up – thank you!  Your kindness is much appreciated.
Mary

We agree. It always brightens our day when we hear about acts of kindness by our riders. But unfortunately, the other ones are part of what keeps this column in business.

UNSTUFFED

On some of the cars, the seat backs have no stuffing in them, usually blue vinyl. Not worn out stuffing, absolutely no stuffing.  Other cars with red vinyl the bottom cushions are completely worn out. Both are uncomfortable to sit in. Please use part of the rate hike to fix the seats in these cars. Thank you.
 Craig

Metra is in the midst of an extensive program to renovate railcars in our fleet and that includes replacing the seats. In the last three years, we have rehabbed about 115 cars. But we have about 850 cars, so we have a ways to go. In the meantime, we do inspect the car interiors daily for wear and tear issues but that doesn’t include testing the cushions for softness. If you find seating that is severely worn, please use the Contact Us form at metrarail.com to report it and please include the car number. As part of our rehab program, we will be transitioning from the bench seats to a new style of fixed seats that feature better head, neck and lumbar support.

SEATS PART II 

I realize Metra wants to upgrade cars when they have the money. However I wish they could do it similar to what is already in the cars. I do not like the plastic hard seats that can not be adjusted so that you are forced to ride backwards depending on the direction of the train. Also you are forced to face others in the middle seats where it is a knee knocking experience. So far I avoid those cars that have been upgraded but I’m afraid Metra will continue to upgrade until I’m forced to ride in the uncomfortable upgraded car. The older cars are still more comfortable.
Kathy

Sorry, but the new-style seats are part of Metra’s future. Stationary seating like this is now the industry standard. Fewer moveable parts reduce wear and tear and ultimately make them a safer choice for our passengers and employees. (They also will save money on replacement costs.) But consider the first wave of these seats as beta testing. We did listen to customer feedback on this first version and because of that, we are developing new specifications and soliciting input from different vendors. The goal is that the next fixed seats we purchase incorporate more comfort features making them a better fit for our passengers and our railcars.

STARS IN OUR MIDST

Just want to let Metra know that their very nice conductor looks like the famous Bradley Cooper.  Metra conductor Brian Kocis has a fan club on my Metra train. Thanks for being a great conductor !!
Keisha

We’re blushing on his behalf.

448eeda8-bf87-4e3a-a326-4cf87130c793.png1e3e6425-6cce-4c6d-8a34-c13d9b0ea97f.jpg

Romeoville Station opens

Romeoville Mayor John Noak (from left), Metra CEO/Executive Director Jim Derwinski, Will County Executive Larry Walsh and U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski joined officials for the ribbon cutting at the new Romeoville Station on Metra’s Heritage Corridor Line on Feb. 2. The station opened to the public on Feb. 5 and is currently serving more than 100 passengers each weekday.

Full story

23e220f6-3e1e-46ac-8ac8-50761cea5eee.jpg

New Lenox hosts severe weather class

New Lenox and the Safe Communities America Coalition are hosting a Severe Weather Spotter Training/Health and Safety Expo on Thursday, April 19. The event will be at the Performing Arts Center at Lincoln-Way West High School, 21701 Gougar Road in New Lenox. Expo  from 5 to 7 p.m. and severe weather class from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

Full story

5427eab9-76ec-4263-83b5-1ea410a1c5fc.jpg

Saving a Life

Metra Communications Maintainer Matthew White, center, was recognized by the Metra Board for coming to the aid of a suicidal woman in early February on Metra’s Electric Line. If you think someone is in danger near our tracks, dial 911, call Metra police at 312-322-2800 or alert any Metra employees nearby.

Read More in the Metra Newsroom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users