#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

While there are no activities planned for Friday (other than some arriving in Philadelphia) or Monday (most will be making their way home but others might have some time early in the day), is there anything in particular that anyone wishes to do in those cities? Whether anyone wishes to ride trains or have dinner together on Friday would indicate when I can plan on arriving in Philly. Likewise, I plan to remain in New York City on Sunday night, and can head for home anytime on Monday, depending on whether anyone wishes to do anything that day. So anyone who hasn't ridden certain lines and wishes to do so, share it here and perhaps we can cook up a small group activity on those days.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

My train arrives just after 12 p.m. in Philly, and after I drop my bags off at my hotel room, I am available for any activities. I have never been to Philly, and while I don't really care much for the typical "see the Liberty Bell" type stuff, I would like to explore a little and maybe combine some trains with that. Dinner is something I am definitely interested in also Friday night. On Monday, I was thinking about seeing parts of NY I haven't seen before, perhaps the Staten Island Railway, or trains to the Bronx (as long as I don't get shot or robbed). I am leaving for Nashville on Tuesday around 1000 a.m. I have to be at work at 2:30 p.m. (snow stay away)
Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

My train is schedule to arrive in Philly at 5:34pm. If the train is on time, I would love to join others for dinner. However, the last time I was on train 92 to Philly (on the current time schedule), it was pretty late and dinner was served on the train. No doubt, I will be sending Kevin regular texts as to my progress and meal status (whether he likes it or not :lol: ) My train leaves New York at 3:15 on Monday. I am up for almost anything on Monday morning (weather permitting).

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

I expect Friday to be a regular work day but I work in center city Philadelphia and would get off during the 4:00 hour. I expect to return from NY to Philly on Monday afternoon.

#5 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

I was going to grab the trolley lines and the Market-Frankford Line but might change to a couple of the regional lines depending on how much sleep on the 67 I can get and how close the connections are.

Edited by EdFindlay, 19 December 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#6 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm booked to arrive on the Cardinal into PHL at 8:20 PM. I haven't checked how #50 has been doing lately, but I think it seems to run late a lot, so I'll probably miss dinner. I thought about taking the Crescent home on Sunday or Monday, but it isn't running all the way to NOL, so I guess I'm flying home Sunday night. Maybe Monday.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

People are arriving at various times into Philly on Friday, so I don't forsee any organized activities happening then. I may do a quick Paoli run after I get into town. Dinner is still undecided, due to the diverse arrival times of the people coming in. If some of us eat together, fine -- but we'll strive more towards doing something in New York the next evening. For Monday, only a handful will still be in hotels from Sunday night, with the rest already having travelled home or on their way. Again, left with some time to spend, I may do a Croton-Harmon Amtrak round trip in the early morning and then leave the city midday. Might as well be productive and earn more tier qualifying AGR points! :)

Edited by KevinKorell, 12 January 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

For Monday, only a handful will still be in hotels from Sunday night, with the rest already having travelled home or on their way. Again, left with some time to spend, I may do a Croton-Harmon Amtrak round trip in the early morning and then leave the city midday. Might as well be productive and earn more tier qualifying AGR points! :)

If you do a Croton-Harmon or Poughkeepsie run on Monday let me know I might join you unless you plan to get going at the crack of dawn. :)

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

If you do a Croton-Harmon or Poughkeepsie run on Monday let me know I might join you unless you plan to get going at the crack of dawn. :)

Don't know what is considered to be the crack of dawn, but as of now departing NYP 8:15 AM, 52 minute layover in CRT, and being back in NYP by 10:50 AM. In Amtrak language, that's 69 and 236. Poughkeepsie results in too long a dwell and much longer day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Don't know what is considered to be the crack of dawn, but as of now departing NYP 8:15 AM, 52 minute layover in CRT, and being back in NYP by 10:50 AM. In Amtrak language, that's 69 and 236. Poughkeepsie results in too long a dwell and much longer day.

OK I will join you. I will get into NYP by NJT from Short Hills arriving by MTD at 7:54am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users