#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

Looks like Chat kicked some or all of us out tonight resulting in messages to try and sign on again in a few minutes.

We had a 15 minute intermission in our Chat session. Everyone got disconnected. Server problems happen all the time in life, but this one just hit in the middle of our Sunday Chat. Not much one can do except perseverance in trying to re-connect. I think everyone who was in the Chat eventually got back on.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

HEADS UP! Looks like Java did another major upgrade, and you may need to do an update yourself, which may mean deinstalling your old versions before installing the new ones.... and this should be done well in advance of tonight's weekly Chat session. Remember to make sure that the manual file enables as outlined above are still enabled.

I've done all that and am still having issues. I get past the security message, but get a box that says:

We encountered a problem while attempting to load the chat room. Please refresh this page and try again.

Of course that does not resolve the problem.

I also eliminated a browser issue, as the problem exists with Internet Explorer as well as Firefox.

Are we all getting the same thing?

Edited by KevinKorell, 19 October 2014 - 02:59 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

I have Chrome and am getting the error message on my desktop (Windows 7). It updated to Java 8, update 25. However on laptop (Chrome and Windows 7 also), Java updated to Java 7, update 71. I am able to access the chat using that update. I have no idea if I did anything to force that update. I am pretty sure it just happened.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Java seems to come in different flavors, and it is suggesting what it thinks is the most appropriate update version for your machine, operating system, browser, whatever. My laptop upgraded to Java 8 Update 25, which I have now since uninstalled. My desktop wanted to upgrade to Java 7 Update 71, but there was an option to decline, and yes I got into the Chat using the old Java 7 Update 65.

At this point until a solution is found, it may be wise to take the "Don't Upgrade" option and see if you can still get into the Chat with the version that existed before today. Of course I've already uninstalled that version but I am trying to at least back up to Java 7 Update 71.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

OK it is confirmed that Java 8 is not supporting our chat software. If you get a message upon entering the chat that your Java is outdated, take the option to not update it -- IF it wants to go to any Java 8 version. Penny was able to update from an older version to Java 7 Update 71 with success. I re-installed Java 7 Update 65 that I had previously today uninstalled, and it works. I won't attempt the upgrade to Update 71 until after tonight's chat session.

We will have to work on a solution to this issue going forward as more of us get new machines, browsers, operating systems, etc that require a newer version of Java.

If you have already uninstalled Java 7 (any update) from your machine, you should put it back unless you have upgraded within Java 7 and it works. When you go into our chat session and are told that your browser is outdated, there should be an option to do nothing and continue. To get an older Java version back, Oracle has an archive here where you can download the older software. Scroll way down to where you see a gray box that says Java SE Runtime Environment 7u65, accept the licensing agreement with the radio button, and then the appropriate operating system (for most of us it would either be Mac or Windows) and make sure it's an .exe file. When this file downloads you must then click on the resulting icon and run through the normal installation process. Note they are also offering 7u67, but that will be moot if we eventually can upgrade to 7u71 with success.

I should add too that if anyone else has upgraded to a computer with Windows 8.1, and this goes for any Java upgrades, you will need to download both the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions in order for Java and our chat to work. Otherwise just 32-bit should be sufficient.

Edited by KevinKorell, 19 October 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Just a reminder to those who didn't join us last week or weren't able to --- Make sure you can get into the Chat well before our 9:30 PM EDT start time. This will ensure that you can attempt to iron out any issues without missing the session.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Java website now has this announcement:

Java SE 7 End of Public Updates Notice After April 2015, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 7 to its public download sites. Existing Java SE 7 downloads already posted as of April 2015 will remain accessible in the Java Archive on Oracle Technology Network. » Java 7 FAQ

So the archives will still be there, but we will all need to use an unsupported release to be able to continue.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

In large part thanks to all the current problems with the chat system, Kevin and I have spent some time debating possible alternatives for the current chat system. After investigating several things we've decided that it is in our best interests to abandon the current chat host in favor of the chat system put out by the same company that makes our BB software; Invision. Making this change accomplishes a couple of goals all at the same time for us. First, it will see the BB being upgraded to the latest version of BB software, bringing us current and more modern software for the BB. Second, it more tightly integrates chat with the BB than the current system does. In fact, it will add a tab right near the top of the forum that will bring one directly into the chat room. Finally, this actually works out to be cheaper than the current chat system. Although we will unfortunately lose chat logs; at least until such time as Invision decides to add such a feature, if they ever do. We will still have our annual drive to help fund things, although if my current calculations are correct it won't happen until late March/early April of next year. And if we get the same number of people who have so graciously helped us out year after year, there will be less money needed from everyone to meet our obligations. I'll have more on that in the coming weeks as the dust settles on the upgrade. Finally, while I'm currently talking with the people who will do the upgrade to the BB, I currently do NOT have a time table as to when that will happen. But it is possible that it could happen as early as later tonight. So this post will serve as a warning that the BB could go offline at any point during the next week to facilitate the upgrade. I will come back to post further if I can get a more exact time table, or at least a day that the upgrade will happen. Last, but not least, Kevin & I do want to thank everyone who has helped fund our chat & BB over the last few years and we thank you in advance for your patience during the upgrade process. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#19 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

After hitting a small snag today, we hope to proceed with the upgrade of the forum software tomorrow at some point. I'm unable to be more specific unfortunately. So please expect, barring further issues, that the forum will be offline for at least a few hours at some point during the day tomorrow, Friday the 21st.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#20 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

If unable to be upgraded or issues arise may I suggest the offsite paltalk for the chat. It's free to sign up and could save the board money. it is safe and you can make people admins of the room who can bounce and ban people from the chat who don't obey the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users