#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82702 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:33 PM

Right now most of the Northeast is under a Tropical Storm Watch for much of Friday as Elsa comes up the East Coast.   Originally my plans were to ride up to Providence on Thursday, and then down from Providence to Washington, DC on Friday, staying there until our Saturday departure.    I've cancelled my Providence leg, but am exploring new options on getting to Washington, whether later on Friday or on Saturday well in advance of the 147 departure.

EDIT: I scored a single seat on Acela 2163 Friday evening, hopefully after the bulk of the storm has passed.

Edited by KevinKorell, 07 July 2021 - 08:40 PM.
Change of plans

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82702 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:39 PM

Roanoke weather from weather.com as of Wednesday evening:

Sat 10 | Night
68°

33%
ENE 6 mph

Isolated thunderstorms in the evening with a few showers possible overnight. Low 68F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Saturday night as indicated above, only a slight chance of isolated thunder storms, and a low of 68 which is comfortable.

Sun 11 | Day
85°

40%
SSW 8 mph

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High near 85F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Sunday morning we  should be out of there before 9 AM, so probably won't see it get into the 80's.   Any chance of rain less than 50% is a good thing.

Edited by KevinKorell, 08 July 2021 - 12:50 PM.
as of Wed.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82702 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

As of Thursday afternoon around 2 PM, there is heavy rain in the Charlottesville area, and some rain south of there in Lynchburg and Roanoke, from the outer northwestern bands of Elsa.   Getting it over with now is a good thing with hopefully no lingering problems.  Saturday night in Roanoke it will be in the process of dropping from the high of 87 to a low of 66.   Chance of rain at 30%.   Sunday morning it will be rising to the same high, but we'll be out of there before it happens.   I would expect it to be in the high 70's around the time we are leaving.  The Sunday chance of rain is about the same as Saturday's, but those usually happen much later in the day.  We're still a little too far out to see hourly forecasts.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hourly forecast graph from the National Weather Service for Roanoke, VA, from 9 PM Friday through 9 PM Sunday. Looks like there's a chance we'll battle some rain on our arrival into RNK, but should clear up by morning. Arrival temp appears to be around 80F.

qoIaLNi.png

Edited by jebr, 09 July 2021 - 08:41 AM.

#5 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 08:32 AM

Updated forecast from the National Weather Service for Roanoke shows some rain chances both on arrival Saturday night and on our departure Sunday morning. At least the thunderstorm chances are low, so hopefully not a soaker. Good thing I've packed my umbrella!

CMu06hN.png

I didn't pull the graph for the DC area, but looks like a pretty dry and warm Saturday for boarding, with potential for storms on Sunday.

yVaJVso.png

Edited by jebr, 09 July 2021 - 08:42 AM.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for updates.  My rain jacket and umbrella are packed.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82702 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

Elsa moved through quicker than expected, so NJ and the DC area are already out of it.   It's still a factor in New England, although the original Acela to Washington I was supposed to be on is running on time thus far.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82702 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for all those who followed the weather leading up to the weekend.   It did rain on the way Saturday, when we had passed through the Charlottesville area, but we did not have any issues upon arrival in Roanoke.  Ditto for Sunday morning, no problems.  Temperatures were comfortable.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users