KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Bergen Record, 2/14/13:

New Orleans has a transit system that pales in size and complexity when compared to the operations run by NJ Transit, the largest statewide public transportation system in the nation.

Story here.
My initial thoughts exactly. NORTA cannot be compared with NJT; the latter far outsizes for former.

The New Orleans Regional Transportation Authority, or NORTA, operates 80 buses on 32 routes, 66 streetcars on three lines, and paratransit service for the disabled. The vehicles cover 14,000 miles each day, and 12 million passenger rides each year.

Well I count five, not three. St. Charles, Canal-Cemeteries, Canal-City Park/Museum, Riverfront, and now Loyola. But again NJT is by far much larger and busier.

NJ TRANSIT, save for the Meadowlands commuter rail line and a couple of bus routes, does not really run near the Sports Complex. No doubt the Meadowlands rail line will act as a shuttle connecting with trains on the Northeast Corridor at Secaucus Junction.

I do find it hard therefore to justify a fact-finding trip for planners when the two transit providers cannot really be compared. Maybe from a security standpoint, but that is stretching it. Imagine if Indianapolis (the 2012 site) was the one that preceeded New Jersey? Indy has absolutely no rail transit, and only the Cardinal/Hoosier State in the middle of the night. To find a city that has hosted the Super Bowl and also has commuter rail, you would have to go back to the games held in the Miami area or California.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users