#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

As mentioned in the announcement thread, as of yet there are no plans for Sunday. This can be our "by request" day. If you haven't been to Boston much and have a particular line you wish to ride with the group, let me know here. While I cannot promise that your request can be fulfilled, we can try to work it in. The choice has to be something that the group can do together and with little inconvenience or standing outside in the cold. For example we could devote the day to trolleys, riding all 4 branches of the Green Line (I know... the "E" line is cut back on weekends but it's a start). Or 1 or 2 commuter rail runs might be possible -- again taking into account winter weather and early darkness. Finally, some ideas involving Amtrak have been tossed around. One could be the Lake Shore Limited #449 to Pittsfield, and then turning back on the Lake Shore Limited #448 back to Boston (about 53 minutes layover in PIT). Or for a longer layover and shorter trip, Springfield. Another idea is to take #449 from Boston to Worcester, and return on MBTA commuter rail to Boston (which I've checked is about a 1-1/2 hour layover). Post your ideas here and we'll try to agree on the best ones. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I like the 449/448 idea, but 448 arrives too late for any Amtrak trains south, including 67. How late does the T run? As you know 448 can be late. (I once arrived BOS at 3 am!) I think 449/MBTA would be better.

Edited by the_traveler, 18 November 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Very true, 448 can be late, and it doesn't connect with any other Amtrak trains in Boston. So anyone who were to do this, the inferrence is that you either live IN Boston or are staying over Sunday night. It might connect with some MBTA lines, but even those could be missed depending on how late 448 might be. With the Worcester turn, I think we'd be back in BOS by around 4 PM which allows time to catch Acela 2297 if going as far as New York, or several Regionals including 67.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

MBTA service ends roughly at midnight. I would suggest only going as far as SPG, that way the option is there to continue on west, continue south, or head back east. Personally there is the BOS-SPG-NHV loop that depending on how well the LSL is running could allow for the shuttle stretch to be done in daylight provided the LSL doesn't get delayed and the Vermonter isn't book solid that day...

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I would suggest only going as far as SPG, that way the option is there to continue on west, continue south, or head back east. Personally there is the BOS-SPG-NHV loop that depending on how well the LSL is running could allow for the shuttle stretch to be done in daylight provided the LSL doesn't get delayed and the Vermonter isn't book solid that day...

Somebody else also suggested to me the New England Triangle you alluded to above. However I checked connection times in New Haven (from Vermonter #57 to an eastbound Regional), and they are either too close for comfort, or a rather long wait for the next one. And either way, the Regional portion is after dark AND quite costly since it is after all a Sunday evening - considered "peak" period.

Not being an official Fest day, the option is still there. No requirement that we all remain together. Those planning on returning to Boston could get off in Worcester, and 1-1/2 hours later be chugging back to Boston on the MBTA train. Those who wish could be headed further west to Springfield, where they could take the Vermonter #57 back to points as far south as Washington, DC. And at least two will remain on #449 all the way to the Midwest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Those who wish could be headed further west to Springfield, where they could take the Vermonter #57 back to points as far south as Washington, DC. And at least two will remain on #449 all the way to the Midwest.

Is the connection time in Springfield from the LSL to the Vermonter too close? Is there an indoor waiting area in Springfield just in case it is cold in MA in January? :lol:

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Is the connection time in Springfield from the LSL to the Vermonter too close? Is there an indoor waiting area in Springfield just in case it is cold in MA in January? :lol:

The scheduled dwell (a.k.a. time between trains) from 449 to 57 is 40 minutes on a weekend. Springfield Union Station does have an indoor waiting area adjacent to the tracks. It should be open because there are multiple arrivals and departures there with the NHV-SPG Shuttles.

And BTW Worcester Union Station is a grand station which returned to rail use within the past several years, so the 1-1/2 hour wait there should people do that option I would expect to be indoors as well. On a previous Fest we did go to Worcester, but IIRC the layover was not that long so we had little time to do much exploring of the station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

So I think that based on what I've heard thus far, we can rule out the following possibilities: BOS-PIT on 449, PIT-BOS on 448 BOS-SPG on 449, SPG-BOS on 448 BOS-SPG on 449, SPG-NHV on 57, then Regional back to BOS The last option above doesn't work because the connection between 57 and eastbound Regionals in NHV is either too tight or too much of a wait, and we would get to BOS well after dark either way. The other 2 options involving 448 are too risky based on potential delays on 448. So still on the table for Sunday is: BOS-WOR on 449, WOR-BOS on MBTA P556 (1-1/2 hours layover in WOR) Suggestions were also received for riding MBTA's Rockport and/or Fitchburg commuter lines; I'll have to check if doing one or both in a single day is possible -- especially given that trains start running later in the morning on Sundays than other days. Finally, I could also put together an all-transit day that includes the Green Line trolley branches, the Mattapan trolley, and as much heavy rail as remaining time and weekend construction projects allow.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I admit, I wouldn't be opposed to an all-transit day on Sunday :)

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

On an all-transit day I should clarify that the Green E line is cut back to Brigham Circle on weekends. And the Boston guys can let us know if something is still happening on weekends on the Cambridge end of the Red Line... unless that is finished.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users