#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

So far we have Amtrak trips as part of the Fest WOB-WEM and WEM-BON. The question is, are people going in coach or business class? I grabbed coach class tickets a few weeks ago, figuring it wasn't worth the extra expense to purchase business class. The surcharge is $8, which buys you a nice half can of ice cold soda, which might not be so popular with the January temperatures. Also I think that the BOS-PVD trip on Friday most will prefer taking Amtrak. The $11 one way fare may soon expire, and the regular fare of $15 ($13.50 AAA) would then apply if you get the low bucket. The BC surcharge however is $14, which however you look at it, about doubles the fare.... all for a 40-minute trip where again it's unlikely anyone will partake of the extra amenities. So I'm sticking with coach all the way. If by chance the Worcester option is chosen for Sunday, you can go in coach at $16 ($14.40 AAA). Or you can upgrade to roomette for an extra $57, or a bedroom for $249. :rolleyes:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I'm sticking with coach, too... Even if I wanted to go with the Worcester option, I'd only go roomette/bedroom for the points if I came into copious amounts of extra money and had it left after the other tickets and expenses for the trip were covered.

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#3 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

same here coach all the way.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 06 December 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#4 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I just purchased all my tickets and will be going coach. Although $8 is one of the cheapest upgrade charges in the system, I'd rather use it when using the whole route, BON-POR.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'd rather use it when using the whole route, BON-POR.

... except it's not really the whole route anymore :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'll talk thus over with mike and let you know.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

It would be nice if we could all sit in the same car, if that is possible. That way should there have to be a last minute change, such as the unlikely event we are terribly late and might miss the return trip, and we need to bail sooner, everyone will know. I realize too that we're boarding both directions of the Downeaster at intermediate stops, so those preferred window seats might not be available for everyone.. whether coach or business class.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm leaning towards coach on the downeaster. I think the smart thing for me will be to get off in providence and meet the group there.

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I booked coach on all Amtrak sections. As did mike. I purchased a ticket from back bay to Providence too. If there is a snafu, I can always use the credit for another trip later on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users