#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

This thread is for reports on our Virginia RailFest 2017 activities on Saturday, 1/14/17.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

Today was a very successful first day of our Fest.  A total of 14 people were involved for our two Amtrak rides.  

Starting on Train #89 from Metropark was Stephen.  John &  Maurice boarded the same train in Philadelphia.   Meanwhile in Washington, in the Club Acela were 9 people:  Jack, Mike, Steve, Alan, Grace, Penny, Ross, Jishnu, and me.  Preston & his girlfriend Kate joined us on board.    Of the 14, 9 were in Business Class and 5 in Coach on this train.

It was a decent trip, clouded by a long unscheduled stop at Aquia Harbor where single tracking was taking place as we were told we were waiting for 2 northbound trains to pass. A northbound freight finally came by, and then we proceeded next, soon passing a northbound Northeast Regional train.  We did lose 40 minutes at that location, but with a 2-hour scheduled layover in Richmond it did not adversely affect us.

In Richmond, some remained within the station, and some of us walked to area restaurants to grab a quick lunch before returning.  We watched the progress of Train #80, which was keeping to its schedule.   On this train we also had 9 in Business and 5 in Coach, however two people rode a different class than they had on #89.

Although we left the Richmond platform on time, we lost a few minutes until CSX cleared us to enter their mainline.  We operated just a few minutes late up the line, but thanks to usual padding we were closer to schedule at Alexandria and 8 minutes early upon arriving in Washington.  Maurice remained on this train up to Philly and the rest of us detrained in Washington.

Eleven of us went to dinner at Pizzeria Uno at Union Station.  Afterwards we went our separate ways for the night.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

The business class attendant provided exemplary service. She assisted passengers on board in Richmond. Noticing that Mike was visually impaired, she explained there were open seats at far end of the car. She was willing to go and open the door at the far end of the car. This was not necessary and Mike and I found seats.

Later, she wheeled a cart up and down the car And ensured that each passenger got their complimentary drink. She smiled and joked the entire time. One of Amtrak's better employees.

After dinner, Mike and I rode out to shady Grove and back to metro center. I made a wrong turn and exited the system at 12th and f rather than 12th and g. A very pleasant employee let us back in and directed me in the right direction. Her colleagues at the other end helped us exit. Customer service has been excellent every time we've entered or left the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users