#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82924 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:24 PM

I'm not going to make a full chart as in the past, showing the fares because everyone's situation may be different.     I will simply give you the base fares for each planned segment.

Note that Boston does offer reduced (approximately half) fares for those over 65, however one would have needed to obtain a Reduced Fare Card in advance to show upon paying the fare.  Too late for that, and probably not worthwhile for a single weekend visit.

Commuter Rail

For the commuter rail segments, I will show the zone and the current one-way fare between Downtown Boston (either North, South, or Back Bay Stations) and the planned endpoints we will visit.

• Boston-Foxboro  (Zone 5, $9.75)
  • Foxboro-Boston  (Zone 5, $9.75)

• Boston-Readville  (Zone 2, $7.00)
  • Readville-Boston  (Zone 2, $7.00)

• Boston-Wachusett  (Zone 8, $12.25)
  • Wachusett-Boston  (Zone 8, $12.25)

MBTA offers a Weekend Pass for $10, good between any zones on any line, which would be applicable to all of our MBTA commuter rail travels.   So suddenly, a total of $38.50 becomes $10.   It can be purchased in the downtown stations (at ticket windows only, not vending machines), aboard trains, or via mTicket. The Weekend Pass is not valid on the Foxboro trips, which will be on Friday and Monday.

Rapid Transit (subway, Mattapan Trolley, Green Line Trolley, or Silver Line Bus routes SL1, SL2, SL3)

• $2.40 per ride or entry into system.  Obviously some transfers such as between lines downtown within subway stations would not require another fare in the second vehicle.  For transferring from one branch of the Green Line to the other at Lechmere, MBTA's Trip Planner shows that the fare from Medford/Tufts on the E Line to Union Square on the D Line is $2.40, but I am unclear how one proves to the second operator that they paid the fare on the first vehicle.

• $11 for a Day Pass, which would be worthwhile if riding 5 or more paid segments, or to avoid having to pay individual fares each time we take a Green Line segment.   The Day Pass purchased on a Charlie Ticket is valid from the date and time of purchase, while if it is purchased on a Charlie Card, it's valid from the first tap on a trolley or in a subway station.

Edited by KevinKorell, 19 April 2023 - 08:06 PM.
Weekend Pass invalid on Foxboro trips

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82924 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:16 PM

mTicket

You can pay your commuter rail fares, or purchase the unlimited $10 Weekend Pass, via mTicket.   You can download on your phone via the usual  I-Phone app store or Google Play.  It is good on commuter rail only, not on the transit lines downtown.

The mTicket app also has a link to all commuter rail timetables, so it's handy to have along on the train to track our progress.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 01:06 PM

mTicket

You can pay your commuter rail fares, or purchase the unlimited $10 Weekend Pass, via mTicket.   You can download on your phone via the usual  I-Phone app store or Google Play.  It is good on commuter rail only, not on the transit lines downtown.

The mTicket app also has a link to all commuter rail timetables, so it's handy to have along on the train to track our progress.

Downloaded.  

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82924 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 08:06 PM

Updated to clarify that Foxboro trips on Friday and Monday cannot be paid for with Weekend Pass.   Only good on our Readville and Wachusett round trips.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users