NYMARF/Group meals Rochester and Springfield

18 replies to this topic

#11 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

I may try to eat fast also (depending on when we decide to leave the hotel to go to the station).  My profile says breakfast instead of points.  I like breakfast.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

I really would want to be leaving the hotel around 7 AM, to ensure we get to the station (and also have time to look around the place) well before the train's departure.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I had planned to eat on the LSL. I'm booked in a roomette.

#14 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

I had planned to eat on the LSL. I'm booked in a roomette.

Steve was talking about Springfield, where we will be boarding a regional.

#15 bratkinson

bratkinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

No one need go hungry in Springfield.  There's both a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts in the refurbished station.  Here's a link: https://www.springfi...ion.com/dining/

Alternatively, I could pick up a bunch of Egg McMuffins at McDs, but they'd be cold by the time I got to WNL 5 mins or so ahead of the train.   I usually do a drive through McDs for breakfast on the way to the early AM trains.  Having tried the lounge car 'hot breakfast sandwich' (ham and egg on rye or something similar), it's not bad, but it's pricey.

As you'll discover when you get off the train in Springfield, it's rather convoluted.  Amtrak hasn't yet moved into the rehabbed station.  Signage is poor at the Amtrak portion of the place.  You'll have to cross 4 tracks on the paved walkway to enter the existing Amtrak 'Amshack' built about 15-16 years ago.  Don't bother entering the station, but walk along its wall to the elevator about 100 feet east of the first door into the station you'll pass to get to the elevator (singular). (walk alongside the parked locomotive in the first picture in this link: https://www.springfi...ation.com/news/ ) Or, go into the station and walk down 40 or so stairs and end up facing the elevator.  The 'tunnel' under the tracks takes you to the refurb'ed Union Station.  But the taxis are on the street side where you came down the elevator/stairs (eg, NOT through the tunnel).  Monday morning, it's up the stairs or the elevator and wait in the Amshack to board.

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

Bratkinson, your information is very helpful. Especially the part about the train station in Springfield. This will be helpful. I appreciate the offer to pick up breakfast. Ill be ok.

#17 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

I am re-reading this thread since the rescheduled fest is in about 3 weeks.  

It looks like the restaurant in the HGI may be the easiest option for Saturday night in Rochester.  

Since it is unlikely the temperature in Springfield will be below zero (as anticipated in January), we may we able to comfortably go outside and have a greater choice of restaurants Sunday night.

Steve, thanks for your early "legwork."  You will be missed in March.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

The difference is that our departure from SPG is later, so there's time for hotel breakfast before we go to the station.

As for the night before in Springfield, assuming the Lake Shore is close to operating on time, I'm still thinking of the Uno which is adjacent to the HGI.  Same chain worked for us twice in Washington, DC Union Station.

Rochester..... agreed on HGI restaurant.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:29 PM

Because of my garlic allergy, Uno does not work very well for me.  I am very limited in what I am able to eat.  If the weather is bad and it is necessary to get to a restaurant without going outside, I am sure I could find something to each (even if it is a bowl of lettuce).  However, I am looking at other options (either with a smaller group or by myself).

I am looking at Max's Tavern (but may be too pricey) and Plan B Burger.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users