#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

Here's my Friday report from the Montreal Railfest. It was nice to remain within one city, the first time we've done that so far. That meant of course, not relying on VIA Rail Canada for our meals. :angry: We rode most of the Metro system, everything we were scheduled to do. Somehow though, we were constantly ahead of my estimated times, so we got to most stations earlier than expected. By the time we got to Longueuil, we were so far ahead (about 42 minutes or so) that we decided to take a breather. We went into the Sandman Inn (where Michael and I are staying now), and discussed our dinner plans. We wanted to have our traditional steak dinner together. We tried using the hotel's business center (where I am now) but the computer was already in use. We did find a tourist guide in the lobby and inside it we located a steakhouse right downtown. Steve called right away and made a reservation for 6 people. We then resumed our travels, still ahead of time. We decided to eat in Place Ville Marie's food court rather than the planned Place Bonaventure, since the former appeared to have had a larger selection of places. Most of us ended up eating at Subway, which is at just about every single food court in Montreal anyhow. Then it was back into Central Station, where we purchased our tickets for some of our commuter runs. Jishnu and Piotr walked over to Lucien L''Allier to get tickets for today's run, which only goes out of that station. However our particular trip does not originate downtown so we would have to catch that train at the Parc station. We reconvened at the Bonaventure Metro, and took the Orange Line and then Blue Line to Parc. We waited about 1/2 hour before our train came in from the north and terminated. We luckily could board and sit in the air conditioned car instead of outside in the uncomfortable heat. Our commuter trip was very pleasant. This line uses single level cars with facing seats but plenty of legroom. The air conditioning was appreciated because it is non-existant on the Metro (they use fans instead). Jishnu will be taking a round trip to Quebec City tomorrow, in place of our scheduled run to Dorion. The 6 of us will however be together in the morning for our run on the electric line to Deux Montagnes. In between the 2 commuter runs we will finish up whatever Metro we have not yet ridden, which is a small part of the Orange Line and about 5 stations on the Blue. Next report when I can, hopefully tomorrow night. Otherwise, late Sunday night after our next Adirondack adventure.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users