Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

KING-TV, Channel 5 in Seattle, WA, 1/22/18:

WSDOT looks into high-speed train from Spokane to Seattle

The Washington Department of Transportation is looking into how a high-speed train from Spokane to Seattle would work.

The story is here.   There has to be some skepticism here, as it is in no way high speed.  Maybe higher speed, but even with the Stampede Pass route instead of the current Empire Builder route, I don't think it's possible to maintain 90 mph along the entire route. I would expect conventional trains and speeds. Just improving the frequency of trains beyond the current ONE between Spokane and Seattle is itself a big improvement, especially given the current calling times in Spokane.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

Maybe higher speed, but even with the Stampede Pass route instead of the current Empire Builder route,

And, Kevin, the civil works required to shorten travel time and mitigate environmental impact on the adjacent wilderness areas would involve billions.  I agree that improving frequency would make more sense and could get implemented faster than installing massive upgrades. Of course, IMO, adding domes and European-style bistro sections should be part of the plan.  My guess is that arrangement would attract a consistent and above average ridership.   :)  Sloan

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:04 AM

Seattle Weekly, 12/20/19:

Catch a train: WA considers an Auburn to Spokane rail line 

From the late 1800s to 1981, passenger trains rumbled their way through Stampede Pass from Puget Sound to destinations in Eastern Washington. Nearly four decades after passenger train service stopped, Washington state is once again eyeing those tracks.

Article

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users