#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 we debuted with our first full Sunday chat session since we changed software to a new provider and dumped the company that was dependent on Java® updates and its quirkiness.    This was the first major change to the Chat element of our On Track On Line product, more than likely since we signed on as OTOL in mid 2003.   So after 11-1/2 years,  this change was welcome.

Big thanks to Alan for getting this and the corresponding board changes up and running in the short time frame we've had to put this plan in motion and see it through.  Once it was agreed that the project would be a "GO", things happened very quickly.

We welcome your impressions on this new feature. Do you like it or will it take some getting used to?   Do you have any questions about what some of the buttons do?  One improved ability is being able to post a hyperlink within the text of your chat, and then for the reader the link opens in a new window or tab, instead of kicking out the reader when the window goes to the website you gave them in the chat.

So ongoing discussion, pro or con, can be done here.  The chat, while we officially meet for approximately 90 minutes starting at 9:30 ET/8:30 CT/7:30 MT and 6:30 PT, Is open all the time.  While it may be hard to understand all the features if you enter alone, two or more can talk anytime and test out the features with each other.

We hope you enjoy the new look and feel of the Sunday chat!!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Just a reminder..... Our second Sunday Chat session under the new software is tonight.  if you are curious about it or just wish to converse with others in the group in real time, pleae join us at 9:30 Eastern, 8:30 Central, 7:30 Mountain, or 6:30 Pacific.  If you haven't tried it yet please feel free to enter the chat anytime to get accustomed to the new look.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

Aloha

Was my exit clean yesterday? My computer crashed as I exited.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Sunday Chat will still occur this coming Sunday night despite it being a Fest weekend.  Some are travelling home on Sunday, some on Monday, but those still in town Sunday should either be home or at their hotels by 9:30 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

Sunday chats for July:

Sunday, 7/12: I am sure we will discuss any last minute stuff at our last real time opportunity before the MWRF event.

Sunday, 7/19:  This is the day we are riding the eastbound Empire Builder from St. Paul to Chicago. If we come into Chicago after (or anywhere close to) 8:30 PM Central Time, those on the trip more than likely won't be on. Some may get on through personal devices aboard the train if we are still in travel at 8:30.  And of course if we are on or within a couple of hours of schedule into Chicago, we can access from our hotels.  If we don't make it, for those not on the trip the chat is of course still open & available for your use.

Sunday, 7/26: Well past the official end of the Fest.  I'm still working on possible scenarios for personal travel after the Fest, but even if I get home that day it should be well before Chat time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:45 PM

Just refreshing this thread for those looking for our chat sessions.  Also removed the word "new" since it's now our current way of life now on Sundays.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:38 AM

As of the end of November we passed one year with our "new" Java-free chat system, and things have been going smoothly.

As of December 1st I was "forced" by my operating system to go through with an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and thus accompanying Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge.  If you are nervous about this upgrade, I did try the chat and it works fine with the new platforms.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

I have windows 10 and have had no issues with chat.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Upcoming chat sessions for July (Fest time) 2016:

Sunday, July 3: Last regular Chat before Pacific Coast RailFest 2016.
Sunday, July 10: Many will be in travel on Amtrak on the way to Chicago. Ability to chat, and/or remain on for the entire session may be limited, especially for those on the Cardinal. Those who wish to, our chat room is always open for your use but you may not have many others to chat with.
Sunday, July 17: This is our second evening in Los Angeles, and given the 3 hour time zone difference, at 6:30 PM PDT more than likely we will be having dinner. Again if you aren't present with us, chat is still available but I would not expect many others participating.
Sunday, July 24: First regular Chat after Pacific Coast RailFest 2016, as we should all be home by then.
Sunday, July 31: Because we all may have missed the opportunity to chat online earlier in the month, I've added a 5th Sunday to July for your chatting pleasure.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82249 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

Just a reminder Sunday chat this week should be a good one, as it is the first one post-PCRF.  I am sure there will be much to talk about!  

Come to think of it I was in my hotel room in Arcadia by around 7 PM PDT last Sunday 7/17 and probably could have joined, but laundry was my main objective that night.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users