#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

I'm not certain that they will take the same actions that they take for bad snowstorms. With storm surges threatening to flood certain zones close to the East and Hudson Rivers, those subway tunnels may be flooded. So using the tunnels could be putting things in harm's way if the worst case scenarios play out.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well they won't be parking trains in lower Manhattan, but there are plenty of tunnels in upper Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens that they can safely park the trains. The Queens Blvd line for example will get all the trains from the IND Jamaica yard (really in Kew Gardens) and it will probably also see trains from some other IND/BMT yard as it's a 4 track main line and can hold quite a few trains when packed end to end. Probably one of the hardest lines to deal with will be my own #7, as they only have the Flushing Station that's underground and including approach tracks can probably hold 10 to 12 trains, and then maybe another 12 to 20 trains could be parked underground in Manhattan. They cannot use the tunnels on the Queens side however, as they could well flood. So they would have to take the rest of the trains to some other line in order to clear the yard.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

Plus the power distribution equipment could see some damage. Although I am guessing that some of the the MTA's systems are probably underground? I remember a few years ago, when there was concern here about the Howard Hanson Dam stability, that Sound Transit put out a warning that mentioned that their main concern, since LINK was elevated where the Duwamish would be moving the Green River into Elliot Bay, was the possibility of substations getting flooded, lose two, and the trains would be turning back in Rainier Beach not Sea-Tac.

There is no doubt that could be a problem. To my knowledge all major substations are above ground, but I won't swear to that. However, there are still plenty of electrical things underground and lower Manhattan that is certainly a concern for them that power wires, signals & signal wires, and radio wires could be damaged and need replacing before they can turn those sections back on line.

A lot will depend on just how much surge is seen and whether or not power can be maintained so that they can stay ahead of the flooding by pumping the water back out before it reaches levels that would damage the infrastructure.

It should also be noted that while water could flow into the tunnels in lower Manhattan, most of the damage if any occurs would not actually occur right there in Manhattan. It would occur under the East River as the water would roll down the tunnel and collect at the low point under the river.
Alan,

#14 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

Here's a rather informative story from the NY Times that better details some of what I've said and expands upon things.
Alan,

#15 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Last trains.....

List of NJTransit Last Trains today.

List of MNRR and LIRR last trains from the Wall Street Journal.

Mayor Bloomberg just announced that mass transit will most likely not be up and running fully until Monday afternoon.

#16 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

LIRR has set up this Aquadam at the mouth of the tunnel from the West Side yard to Penn Station to at least delay the ingress of any water should water pour into the yard from the river or from rain.

Similar Aquadams are apparently going up at many strategic locations in various subway tunnels too.

#17 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

Here's a rather informative story from the NY Times that better details some of what I've said and expands upon things.

Thank You. It explains everything.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:10 AM

MTA Service Advisory

SERVICE PLAN FOR MONDAY, AUGUST 29

In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, the MTA is providing limited service today. The MTA's regular fare and toll policy resumed at 5:00 a.m.

New York City Subway

With limited exceptions, service will resume across the subway system at 6:00 a.m. Monday morning. Service will be less frequent than normal, and customers should expect longer waits and more crowded trains. Frequency of service will improve over the course of the day.

Exceptions:

•3 trains will operate between 137th Street/City College and New Lots Avenue; Substitute bus service will be provided between Harlem 148th Street and 135th Street connecting with the 2 train.
•C trains suspended; A trains will make all local stops from 207th St. to Lefferts Blvd.
•No service in the Rockaways. (Rockaway Blvd. to Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park)
•6 trains runs local in the Bronx
•7 trains run local
•S Franklin Avenue Shuttle (FAS) Suspended
•N trains terminate at Kings Highway. Shuttle bus service between Kings Highway and Stillwell Terminal.

Staten Island Railway

The Staten Island Railway will resume normal service at midnight tonight.

Buses

Limited bus service was restored in all five boroughs of New York City earlier this evening. Service levels will continue to increase but may not reach normal levels tomorrow.

Long Island Rail Road

The Long Island Rail Road is restoring near-normal service for Monday morning's rush hour on six of its branches, but customers are advised to expect some cancelations and some trains operating with fewer than normal complement of cars. The AM rush service is being restored to and from:

•Babylon
•Huntington
•Ronkonkoma
•Port Washington (half-hourly service west of Great Neck; no service east of Great Neck)
•Hempstead
•West Hempstead

Service remains suspended to and from:

•Oyster Bay
•Port Jefferson
•Long Beach
•Far Rockaway
•Montauk (east of Babylon)
•Greenport (east of Ronkonkoma)

Metro-North Railroad

Metro-North Railroad cannot operate regular service on any of its three lines, on Monday, August 29. There is still significant damage to many portions of the Metro-North system. Local streams and the Bronx River continue to overflow their banks and high winds continue to fell trees across the tracks.

Bridges and Tunnels

All MTA Bridges and Tunnels are open

Access-a-Ride and Able Ride

MTA paratransit services are expected to be operating normal service beginning at noon on Monday.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

Metro North's Port Jervis Line may not be back for quite a while. Here's a photo of a section that was undermined:

http://www.flickr.co...tos/6094348128/

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

Seems the right call was made. I caught a glimpse of the NBC Nightly News on Saturday showing at least the evacuation of one station, it was on the A-Train, and it seemed orderly. I was thinking, with the New York Subway carrying over 5 million riders a day, plus with New Jersey Transit, the Long Island RR, Metro North also, even more riders a day, it was best to suspend service. The support staff at the MTA are doing a great job. I was looking at the LIRR's facebook, and saw a lot of thank you's from people as the service updates were posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users