KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:50 PM

Why are we going to Bridgeport, if the Waterbury Branch is out?  :unsure:

To fill up the day. Read: more time on the rails? The Bridgeport turn is partially to make up for the loss of the Waterbury branch, although we won't actually be taking that branch. The hour of travel out that branch was absorbed into the two-hour lunch break in Stamford.

This way it works out with the lunch hour being in Stamford in the middle of the day, and the Danbury Branch the last thing we do that day. Bridgeport represents the best place to switch from the eastbound express train to a westbound train that runs in between the base service trains, allowing us a much better chance of making the connection to New Canaan in Stamford.

The alternative to that would be starting out from New York City two hours later and just going through Stamford. More time on the rails!! :lol: :lol: But if anyone would rather sleep later and catch the 11:07 express train from GCT, they could meet us in Stamford in time for our New Canaan round trip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:57 PM

Updated itinerary now posted here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#24 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:12 PM

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on this one since I will be in Calcutta, India, that weekend. BTW, last weekend I did a single person (i.e. me) Fest in Brisbane, Australia. Amazingly good all electric (25kV 50Hz) EMU suburban service on 1.067 meter gauge with trains running at upto 140kmph (~88mph)(!) run by Queensland Railway. Will write up a report one of these days. Right now I am a bit pressed for time. But while we are on the subject of New York area Fests, for consideration for some future Fest how about doing the following: NYP - Port Jeff (i.e. Port Jefferson) Station by LIRR usually NYP - Hicksville or Huntington by EMU and then to Port Jeff Station by double-decker diesel push pull. Port Jeff Station to Port Jeff Harbor walk (about a mile or so downhill) for those that are unable to walk, cabs available at Port Jeff station. Port Jeff Harbor to Bridgeport by ferry Bridgeport - NYG by Metro North I did this once a while back. It is actually a remarkably pleasant trip with a lot of variety, and Port Jeff is a great place for getting a good lunch before getting on the ferry. Jishnu.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:40 PM

Jishnu, I've done the Bridgeport/Port Jefferson circle tour twice --- once in each direction. It's better to do the Long Island part of it first, particularly since it's a downhill walk to the ferry dock, and also since there is better return service (Metro North and AMTRAK) directly to New York from Bridgeport. In fact that could be a day's activity in itself, or possibly the main activity for one day of a multiday AppleFest. Thank you for the suggestion! B) :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:14 AM

One week to go until the OTOL Metro New York Fest 2003, and I've tweaked the itinerary once more! :rolleyes: This time, however, it was for the Sunday activities.

As per some of your suggestions, we will leave Penn Station several minutes earlier for Jamaica, in order to allow more time at Jamaica in case the first train is delayed, so we don't miss the diesel express train to Montauk. The times were also changed slightly because a new timetable goes into effect Saturday, September 27th.

At the same time, I also have us spending less time in Secaucus Junction, taking the first train to Penn Station (departing 4 minutes earlier than the Northeast Corridor train originally chosen), which happens to be a Midtown Direct train. So we will have the same amount of dwell time in Penn Station.

The itinerary is here. I've also deleted all of the proposed alternative itineraries, as well as the index I had created for them, so those URL's will no longer work.

Also there is now a Costs page, which details how much you will need to bring for transportation fares. As you can see, the entire weekend, if you participate in the entire Fest, will cost an adult $57.55 . :blink: Chalk it up to a weekend of entertainment! :P Kids under age 12 should be able to get away with paying just $4.50 all weekend.

It's not too late to join us for one or two days on the rails around the New York City area. Please e-mail me if you would like to be a part of the Fest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users