#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

If our current participant list holds up, we stand to tie or break some records for participation in our Rail Fests.

At the current time we have 24 on the list, and a potential 25th person has indicated some interest. I believe that 25 would break a record, even dating back to the 1990's (Prodigy days) before I was handling the fests.

Obviously not all 25 will be together at any one time. That is the beauty of these trips, as people can join us and leave us at anytime throughout the 13-day course of the event. We have some people who plan to ride relatively small parts of the Crescent and Sunset Limited routes with us; those folks will not be in California.

It was asked of me which portion of the Fest will have the most people. I sat up late last night attempting to figure this out based on the current 24 participants. As of now, it appears that the best attended part of the fest will be Sunday, 7/19 as we ride all of the existing light rail portions of Metro, as well as the Waterfront Red Car. I expect 17 people to ride with us all or part of that day. A close second will be Saturday 7/18, when 16 people are slated to take trips to San Bernardino and Lancaster on Metrolink. In third place at 15 would be Monday 7/20, our day to ride heavy rail Metro and take a circle trip on Metrolink to Riverside and Irvine. We also may have 15 in San Diego after Bill M joins us.

As for the long distance Amtrak trips, it looks like no more than 12 at any one time. We peak on the Crescent, and then it's downhill from there. Here is the breakdown:

Crescent #19(13)
NYP-PHL: 6
PHL-WAS: 8
WAS-ATL: 11
ATL-BHM: 12
BHM-TCL: 11
TCL-NOL: 12

Sunset Limited #1(15)
NOL-HOS: 10
HOS-SAS: 11
SAS-LAX: 10

Southwest Chief #4(22)
LAX-CHI: 9

Lake Shore Limited #48/448(24)
CHI-ALB: 5
ALB-BOS: 1
ALB-NYP: 4

Of course all of the above numbers are subject to change. Last minute cancellations do happen, and we often do meet new people who are welcome to join us in our travels.

Edited by KevinKorell, 10 July 2009 - 12:32 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users