#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:10 PM

I invite you to visit my website at http://pages.prodigy...onfest/home.htm for the latest information about the OTOL Montreal RailFest 2006 event. Lower fares WON'T apply. But you can get an idea of what the hotels in Montreal and Toronto (and possibly Albany) may cost you.

Today I did some research on VIA Rail Canada and its fares on the three trip segments we are taking. From what I can see, these trains have 4 tiers of fares:
  • VIA-1 is the premier fare, similar to Amtrak's Business Class on Regional trains.
  • Comfort Regular is the rack rate, with unlimited cancellation or change capabilites.
  • Comfort Discounted is the next one down, still cheaper than the rack rate.
  • Comfort Supersaver is probably the one most will choose, the cheapest of the four. The caveat is that it may be pre-purchased and non-refundable, or they may charge a nominal fee to change or cancel the reservation once made.
In Canadian dollars and including all taxes, here are the Comfort Supersaver fares for each segment:

VIA 57 on 7/19/06 Montreal to Toronto: C$85.12
VIA 42 on 7/20/06 Toronto to Ottawa: C$73.83
VIA 38 on 7/20/06 Ottawa to Montreal: C$32.10

That adds up to over C$191 for the three trains. For the same 3 trains for those who want to use VIA-1 class, the price would be C$511.73. Of course the other two tiers end up somewhere in between those two amounts.

I just thought you would like to be aware of what these trains will cost, before you make the trip with us. Remember that I am also offering the Montreal Fest Lite option (Itinerary C), where you leave New York on the 20th and join us only for Montreal. This would eliminate costs for VIA Rail Canada and the hotel in Toronto.

As for Amtrak, right now the coach fare on the ADIRONDACK (there is no Business Class on this train) from New York to Montreal on 7/18/06 is US$60. With the AAA or NARP discount it comes down to US$54. If you choose Itinerary B, which would be going to Albany (or Schenectady) the night before and then continuing on the 18th from there to Montreal, the same total fares apply. Interestingly, the southbound ADIRONDACK fare from Montreal to New York on 7/23/06 is US$61, just a buck more. This probably has something to do with the fact we are travelling on a Sunday, when corridor fares are a little higher. With AAA discount it is US$54.90. Again the same total fares would apply if you choose to get off the ADIRONDACK Sunday afternoon in Albany or Schenectady, and then take another train to New York on Monday morning.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users