#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Two weeks to go until our (almost) spring railfan event, the OTOL New Jersey RailFest 2006!

At present, we have 16 people who have indicated that they either tentatively or definitely will attend. Remember, you can join us too! You need not spend the entire day with us. Since this is a "one way" Fest (starting and ending in two different places), you can choose to join any portion of it, either joining us later in the day or leaving us before we are through. If you wish to join us, simply e-mail me with your hometown and I will add your name to the participant list.

Many of you have indicated that you would prefer to have your tickets pre-purchased. I will do this, and others may help with the process as well. Pre-purchasing helps to speed up the group, as even one person needing to buy the ticket before departure can make us miss a train. Please e-mail me and let me know how many of the following you need:
  • PATCO ($1.15)
  • RiverLINE ($1.25)
  • NJT NEC Line (Trenton-Newark costs $8.50)
  • NJT Newark City Subway ($2.50 round trip)
  • NJT HBLRT (2 90-minute periods for $3.50)
  • PATH (2 trips for $3.00 ... can buy you a Metrocard for this amount)
You can pay me (or those who help out with the pre-purchase) back in person on the day of the Fest. Remember that although the tickets can be purchased anytime, you still need to validate them at the departure stations before boarding all three light rail lines.

I would like to start making these pre-purchases later this week, into the weekend of March 11-12, so please get back to me with the list of what you need.

It is difficult to say how the weather will be on March 18th, but please watch the weather reports for both Philadelphia and New York City, and dress appropriately. The past two days I was waiting for light rail trains at both Exchange Place and Pavonia/Newport and experienced very cold winds coming off the Hudson River.

In the possible but unlikely event we have heavy snow on that day, the fest will go on. I reserve the right to reduce the time and number of activities based on what is safe and practical for us to accomplish given the weather conditions. Knowing that people are travelling long distances to join us, we will try to do as much as we can.

More updates to follow!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

For the PATH fares, Piotr will be purchasing one 40-trip QuickCard. He can then card us each through the faregates. This reduces each participant's fare by 20%, or 60 cents. So your two entries into the PATH system will cost $2.40 rather than $3.00 . Please still let me know if you require this so that I can give Piotr a final count by the middle of next week.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

Many of you have not yet e-mailed me with your requirements for the ticket pre-purchase. If you have not already sent me what tickets you want, please do this by Friday evening, March 10th. I plan to make many of these purchases on Saturday, the 11th. If even one person has to buy their tickets while we are travelling together, particularly from NJ TRANSIT's slow-as-molasses machines, it could slow the entire group down causing us to miss a train. This could also affect our dinnertime together in New York, since some of us have reserved tickets on Amtrak to return to Philadelphia. So please inform me what tickets to buy for you so I can buy an accurate amount of tickets. Please help me help you and the rest of our group!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

I just learned that Trenton's Sovereign Bank Arena is hosting one set of brackets for the NCAA Womens basketball tournament next week. While this should not adversely affect us, it may cause some crowding on the RiverLINE on our northbound trip together.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

I dropped over $150 today on various tickets, and I'm not done yet. Today I picked up tickets for PATCO, RiverLINE, Trenton-Newark on the Northeast Corridor, and Newark City Subway. That total does not include the fares paid today for Michael and me to travel on the RiverLINE and NEC to purchase said tickets in Camden, Trenton, and Newark. I may have over-purchased somewhat, but the tickets can be used another time. Better safe than sorry. You know the slogan "If you see something, say something" ?? I wonder how suspicious I was purchasing 30 Newark City Subway tickets, and then not validating them nor riding at all. It was a challenge too, because one cannot purchase more than 9 tickets at any time from NJ TRANSIT's wonderful vending machines. Nor can you use any one credit or debit card more than twice in one day. I still have to get the HBLRT tickets, which I will do at the Lincoln Harbor station on a day I am there this coming week.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

The ticket purchase for PATCO and NJ TRANSIT tickets is now complete as of Monday. Today I visited the HBLRT ticket vending machine at Lincoln Harbor, which I relieved of 30 tickets. It, in turn, relieved me of some money. :lol: It looks like we will spend much of our PATCO trip settling our differences. :unsure: Piotr will be purchasing a PATH QuickCard with enough value to admit us all to the system twice. Please pay him $2.40 per person ($1.20 per trip) when you see him in Philadelphia or when you join us later in the day. (Piotr I will e-mail you the count tonight when I get home.)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users