#1 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:46 PM

When posting a reply on this Board, please do not QUOTE full messages/replies that appear in the same Topic ("thread") above the reply you are posting. Doing so is completely redundant and wastes download time, especially for members and guests using slower modems. SHORT quotes of SELECTED portions of messages above your reply in a Topic are acceptable as this clarifies what you are replying to. But all of us can ourselves read the messages above your reply (especially the ones DIRECTLY above your reply) -- we don't need you to repeat them. Thanks for helping to make this a useful and user-friendly Board.
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:53 PM

SHORT quotes of SELECTED portions of messages above your reply in a Topic are acceptable as this clarifies what you are replying to.

As a suggestion, you still can use the "reply" button. But then just delete all parts of the quoted text that are not pertinent to your response.

I used it for this very response in fact, only retaining the portion of HaRRy's message I was responding to. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

I'm bumping this 4-1/2 year-old thread just as a gentle reminder, as I've seen a lot of this happening again recently. You don't need to quote an entire thread when it appears just directly above in the previous reply. You can edit your response to only quote the sentence you are responding to, removing everything else. You can also avoid quoting altogether by using the Fast Reply feature instead of the "Reply" button. Thanks to all! :)

Edited by KevinKorell, 06 February 2009 - 12:28 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just a gentle reminder to all that overquoting, or what is in reality nested quotes, is a redundant exercise that forces those using the board to reread something they already read. While quoting the most recent response is fine, once you quote a response to a response, it renders the thread hard to read. Some may not notice but I do a LOT of editing of responses to clean things up so that more can appreciate what is being said instead of reading what they already read just before.

Wrong:

Parent note

Response 1

Response 2

Response 3

Response 4

Right:

Response 3

Response 4

The few extra seconds taken to edit your reponses will make this board more user friendly for everyone!

Thanks to all.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users