#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82528 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

This topic is for reports of travels from participants' homes to the official Fest events. It can include travels on Train #49, the westbound Lake Shore Limited, on which many participants from the east coast are set to travel.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Dick and I have started our fest traveling. We are on 98, running only 42 minutes late out of Palatka, FL. If you believe Amtrak.com, we will arrive in NYP early. As an aside, the chocolate peanut butter pie is back on the dessert menu. Also, according to my new GPS app, we are now traveling at 81 mph and the altitude is 100 ft.

#3 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43492 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

. . . the altitude is 100 ft.

Wow! Amtrak is "flying low" these days. :blink:

I sure hope the train isn't flying at 100' of altitude; perhaps the train is 100' elevation above sea level. ;)

Ross

#4 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

I've been "enroute" since Monday night. I Fedexed myself from NOL to ATL via MEM, and boarded the Crescent there back home to NOL. This way, I could get maximum use of my points redemption. About an hour from ATL, my train hit a pickup truck. He was lucky to walk away. So we were about 2 hours late arriving into NOL that night. I spent the night at home, and boarded the SSL the following morning. I'm still on the SSL. Except for some signal problems that caused us to loose 1:45 hours we arrived into SAS a few minutes early. In SAS I had to switch roomettes to the 421 car because 1 was sold out beyond SAS. I'm glad, because I'm in room 9 and have the back window to look out right behind me. Just left Benson, AZ and should arrive into TUS quite a few mins early. For a 3 day a week train, this train is pretty much sold out. They just announced to coach pax, that they have lots of people getting on in TUS, and they will have a seat partner! Will board the CS tomorrow. Luckily 14 and 11, has shown some excellent OTP stats as of late, not to mention 1!

#5 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

How was the inside of the Fedex box? :lol: If all goes according to plan I will arrive into NYP by NJT NEC service sometime between 2pm and 2:30pm. The later time will be if there is no parking available at Metropark and I have to haul it down to EWR to park. I will head to Club Acela when I get in.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

At Club Acela in NYP with Kevin, Grace, Jishnu and Dick. Waiting for 49.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82528 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I did my usual drive down to Cherry Hill NJT station, and was pleased to see Bill Magee there to greet me. We chatted as he saw me off on the NJT train to Philly. On my way to Philadelphia my train stopped at the Pennsauken station and sat there for almost half an hour because the Delair Bridge was open. Luckily I had plenty of leeway until my Keystone train to New York. Once in New York I met Penny and Dick, and the 3 of us went for a bite to eat at Stage Door Deli. Back in the lounge we met Jishnu, Grace, and Alan. Hoping for an on-time departure and remaining that way into Chicago!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm there in mind if not in body. I'll be watching 49 tonight. Lol

#9 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Six of us, split between 2 cars, are on 49. We left on time. :)

#10 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5366 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'll give you guys a 16hr, 50min head start, and then I'll see if I can catch up to you. :) See you tomorrow in Chicago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users