27 replies to this topic

#21 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Still here in Chicago. 5 is delayed 45 minutes to a hour due to issues in the yard. They were still putting the train together.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82590 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Still here in Chicago. 5 is delayed 45 minutes to a hour due to issues in the yard. They were still putting the train together.

Gee doesn't that sound familiar? At least their ineptness is consistent. Has anyone told the yard people that trains are scheduled to leave every day the same time from Chicago?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

I did end up flying to SLC from SAC or SMF actually. Train 6 wasn't suppose to even depart EMY until 2:00 PM, but it actually departed at 3:36 PM, over 6 hours late. This was the consist that arrived over 12 hours late and I believe it was the one involved in the reroute in Iowa or Nebraska earlier in it's trip. So after my points run to Davis, I hopped on a bus to the airport and got the next Delta flight to SLC. I'm very glad I did. I just needed a full night sleep in a non-train bed. #6 didn't arrive into SLC until 8:45 this morning, although, in that case, I would have gotten full night sleep on the train.

#24 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

Sitting here in grand junction with engine trouble. One of the locos is using more fuel than normal and needs to be refueled.it overheated once and shut off for 5 minutes but crews were able to get it going again. Good thing the front desk at the super 8 in Berkley is open 24 hours.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82590 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

Good luck. Right now you are about as late as our version of #5 was, but your issue sounds like it could take more time. We did sit in Grand Junction ourselves inexplicably for an hour after crew announced it would be a 10-minute stop. Fuel leak sounds more serious, although you're almost done with the Rockies but still have the Cascades ahead. So after not having an engine ready to go in time for the 2 PM Chicago departure, it appears they sent out a bad one. Does your train have any private cars on the rear?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good luck. Right now you are about as late as our version of #5 was, but your issue sounds like it could take more time. We did sit in Grand Junction ourselves inexplicably for an hour after crew announced it would be a 10-minute stop. Fuel leak sounds more serious, although you're almost done with the Rockies but still have the Cascades ahead. So after not having an engine ready to go in time for the 2 PM Chicago departure, it appears they sent out a bad one. Does your train have any private cars on the rear?

Yes 2 of them. One of the locos Is a p40.

#27 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Left emy 30 minutes late kinda due to a late 11 hogging the track.

#28 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Trip to Fest 2 of 2 Back in Fest country again. We left our San Francisco hotel just after 9am and took BART to SFO - the only way to fly. Our Southwest flight left the gate at 11:56am, 26 minutes late due to the late arrival of the aircraft and some additional dispatch delay due to the runway construction closing 2 of the 4 main runways. Considering the runway issue, our getaway was pretty good. It was just over two hours in the air, and our flight arrived at the DEN gate at 3:20pm, 15 minutes late. We took the RTD AF SkyRide express bus to Union Station. It was kind of a PITA, but sort of cheap at $11. There was heavy rush hour traffic coming in from DEN. The new rail line can't come soon enough. Walking from the bus depot to the hotel, we had the chance to walk through the restored Union Station Great Hall. Very nice. It had that new station smell. We were in our hotel room just before 5:00pm - seven hours door to door. All-in-all, a smooth and relaxing trip. Now, time for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users