#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82578 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Our trip from Reno to Denver on Train #6(16), the eastbound California Zephyr, can be recounted in this thread.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Departed Reno 30 minutes late. Only seen saxman so far. Everyone else must be hiding from penny for fear she'll make them do yoga. Got a 9pm dinner reservation. Had to stop outside of Sparks due to police activity. Someone drove on the tracks to get away from police.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82578 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

So far I haven't been forced to do any yoga, so she's been pretty harmless so far. Aboard Train #6 we now have 11 people, including Kevin N, and Chris who has rejoined us being on the train before us at Truckee. So far, so good. Even if we end up an hour late into Denver, it will seem excellent in comparison to what we have been through so far. This is one train where there are no Amtrak to Amtrak concerns, but we do want to get to Denver Thursday evening before light rail service ends for the night.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

So far I am enjoying my ride on 6. Early dinner was good with an efficient dining car staff. I am pleased with the location of my room, which is in the car next to the diner. Right now I am sitting in the lounge, doing what I do best - talking to strangers. I plan to practice some platform yoga tomorrow during a fresh air stop.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thursday morning I am not so happy with my car since none of the toilets are working. :(

#6 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Met up with penny and kk around 8pm has they were in the lounge. Met up with the rest of the group at first call for breakfast. Missed them at lunch do to being in 2 different ends of the diner and missing kks text. Did set a plain to meet for dinner at 5pm and that worked out fine. The train got to Denver about a hour late and the group departed while I stayed on the train to continue to Chicago and other parts.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82578 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Yes all of us in the 531 car, while closest to the diner also had the non-working toilet issue. We had to go to either of the other sleepers behind us to use the facilities. That was not a huge problem for us, although had I been in a bedroom expecting my own private toilet and shower I would have had more issues with that. Perhaps for Penny some partial compensation should be in order.

All in all this was a good trip. The dining car staff at times was a bit terse, but they would open up when in a better mood. The LSA was most professional and cheerful.

Our sleeper attendants on this train all seemed to be satisfactory. Robert in the 631 car was apologetic for the plumbing issue and helpful in other respects. He seemed attentive to our needs to put the beds down or up.

Arrival into Denver was 7:59 PM, which was only 1 hour 21 minutes late, which to us seemed like nothing after our previous adventures. Most left the station in cabs, and the four of us who used the light rail southbound had left the station area by 8:28 PM, having also watched from the light rail platform as #6 departed for Chicago.

Tomorrow, we do the light rail network and hopefully the heritage trolley.

Edited by KevinKorell, 18 July 2014 - 01:34 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users