#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

As I mentioned in the thread Future Fests as of Winter/Spring 2019  , the group of 7 who dined together in Rochester on March 23rd discussed our options for the Summer event.    We favored Canada over a return to Texas for the third year in a row. In addition, I had two proxy votes by text by regular members unable to be at the March event who also voted for Canada.

This is a preliminary discussion and NOT an announcement.  The tentative itinerary presented is NOT final, nor has any date been chosen.   There is knowledge that we have a late start in planning given our late Winter meet, and that some do need to travel further on long distance trains to get to & from New York City, the point where most trips likely could start and end.  "Official" Fest related trips will not involve any long distance trains, as Amtrak's Maple Leaf and Adirondack and VIA Rail Corridor services would be used.

A trip involving Toronto and Montreal would likely involve about 2 or 3 days & nights in each city.   There also is a possibility for side trips to Ottawa to take in the new Confederation Line (light rail), and Waterloo Region (Waterloo, Kitchener) to ride the new ION light rail.  However at this current time neither has opened for service and both are currently slated for debuts in the second quarter of 2019.   They are not deal breakers; we have plenty to do in the two larger cities and could write either one out of the itinerary.  I've looked at hotels in the Kitchener/Waterloo area, and for the majority who favor Hilton portfolio hotels, there is not much in that area.  In Ottawa, there is one Hampton Inn walkable from the VIA Rail station and its not-yet-open light rail station.  So we can discuss how important those two side trips would be to everyone but for now I could do without.  Doing either Ottawa or Waterloo Region would add one hotel night and one more day of travel to the overall journey for each place.

The tentative itinerary so far shows the maximum trip, which would include Ottawa and Waterloo Region (Kitchener).  One of both can be eliminated if we so decide, or if their reasons for being there aren't yet in service.

Another factor....    The westbound Maple Leaf leaves New York City at 7:15 AM.   That is very early, given the 12-hour scheduled trip.   One option could be to leave the preceding afternoon, stay in Albany or somewhere else (Utica, Syracuse, Rochester) en route in Upstate New York, and then board the Maple Leaf at a better time of day (for example 10 AM in Albany).

For those who are interested in this journey, again this is not a formal announcement but please share your ideas here!

Edited by KevinKorell, 09 June 2019 - 10:07 PM.
Removed link to TMRF since there's no M

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

Well I am definitely interested in this trip to Canada and definitely plan to participate.  The entire itinerary looks great.  I booked a trip on this private car trip https://www.broadway...ed1949.com/homebecause I have always been fascinated with the Pennsylvania Railroad's version of the Broadway.  It is the weekend of July 12-14.  If the group leaves NYC that weekend I will catch up to the group in Toronto. Missing the trip to Kitchener would be painful because that is new and interesting.  The private car trip is paid for.  So  it will not interfere in my participation on the fest.  

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:18 PM

Thanks, Steve.   Again Kitchener is not a sure thing.  Watching progress of ION LRT rollout.  And we have a challenge with hotels too.  If not then we would still be in Toronto when you join us, assuming those dates are chosen.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Another factor....    The westbound Maple Leaf leaves New York City at 7:15 AM.   That is very early, given the 12-hour scheduled trip.   One option could be to leave the preceding afternoon, stay in Albany or somewhere else (Utica, Syracuse, Rochester) en route in Upstate New York, and then board the Maple Leaf at a better time of day (for example 10 AM in Albany).

How about traveling to Buffalo the previous day and then catching the Maple Leaf there. There are many hotels including Hilton properties within 5 min drive and possibly even longish walking distance from Exchange Street Station. Have we been to Buffalo in the recent past?

If we take 281 to Buffalo on Friday, that is 10:20-ish departure from NYP getting into Buffalo Exchange St at 6:25-ish. Maple Leaf departure next day is at around 3:15pm. We'd probably have plenty of time to ride the Niagara Frontier Metro in the morning should we choose to do so. If all cannot make the earlier trip, it could be an optional pre-Fest addition. The rest of the Fest itinerary remains unchanged.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

How about traveling to Buffalo the previous day and then catching the Maple Leaf there. There are many hotels including Hilton properties within 5 min drive and possibly even longish walking distance from Exchange Street Station. Have we been to Buffalo in the recent past?

If we take 281 to Buffalo on Friday, that is 10:20-ish departure from NYP getting into Buffalo Exchange St at 6:25-ish. Maple Leaf departure next day is at around 3:15pm. We'd probably have plenty of time to ride the Niagara Frontier Metro in the morning should we choose to do so. If all cannot make the earlier trip, it could be an optional pre-Fest addition. The rest of the Fest itinerary remains unchanged.

Jis, I like that suggestion.  It is unlikely that I will be able to attend the entire fest, but was thinking of doing the first leg, possibly to Niagara Falls.  Buffalo looks like a reasonable alternative.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

We did the NFTA Metro (light rail) in 2004 on the way to Toronto.  It hasn't changed at all since then, only it's 15 years older.   Most of us stayed at a Doubletree hotel in Buffalo's medical district (for which we needed to ride the light rail, but I think they also had a shuttle).   That Doubletree no longer exists; it was converted to a Wyndham Garden in 2018.   I think there are other Hampton, HGI, etc downtown.

There might be more to do as tourists in Niagara Falls,  NY as opposed to Buffalo, to kill the time until departure of the Maple Leaf if we chose that option.  Choice of hotels, and bonus is getting to see the new station / US Customs facility.    The Canadian side of the Falls is better, but there is still much one can do on the US side.

Edited by KevinKorell, 09 June 2019 - 10:34 PM.
Added thought

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

Yup. Niagara Falls is indeed a possibility with many things to do. My general preference in Niagara Falls is the Canadian side, but at a pinch the US side will do too.

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

I suggest that anyone who is considering this trip and who does not have a passport, passport card*, an enhanced state driver's license* or a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) should start the process of getting one of those documents now.  Validity of existing documents should cover the return from Canada.  Processing new passports and renewals can take a little while, particularly with the volume caused by the approaching peak travel period.

Info on applying for a new passport or a renewal can be found HERE.

One more caution. Canada is VERY serious about prohibiting entry by anyone with a criminal record blemish.  Offenses such as DUI 20 years ago and even ancient history such as an arrest for a Vietnam war protest in the 1960's can prevent entry into Canada.  Modern border control systems know all.  By and large, entry into Canada is not a big deal, but there are many stories of surprise turn-backs due to some long forgotten incident.

*Passport card or enhanced drivers license can be used instead of a full passport or trusted traveler card for land crossings between the Canada and the USA. Air requires a passport or trusted traveler card. Enhanced driver's licenses are only offered by Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington and are require extra processing and an additional fee over and above the regular license. Regular driver's licenses and birth certificates are not accepted for USA-Canada border

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

And, Bill, we'll dust off your old writings about cell phone service in Canada, and the stuff about currency exchange rates.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43591 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

I suggest that anyone who is considering this trip and who does not have a passport, passport card*, an enhanced state driver's license* or a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) should start the process of getting one of those documents now.  Validity of existing documents should cover the return from Canada.  Processing new passports and renewals can take a little while, particularly with the volume caused by the approaching peak travel period.

Info on applying for a new passport or a renewal can be found HERE.

One more caution. Canada is VERY serious about prohibiting entry by anyone with a criminal record blemish.  Offenses such as DUI 20 years ago and even ancient history such as an arrest for a Vietnam war protest in the 1960's can prevent entry into Canada.  Modern border control systems know all.  By and large, entry into Canada is not a big deal, but there are many stories of surprise turn-backs due to some long forgotten incident.

*Passport card or enhanced drivers license can be used instead of a full passport or trusted traveler card for land crossings between the Canada and the USA. Air requires a passport or trusted traveler card. Enhanced driver's licenses are only offered by Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington and are require extra processing and an additional fee over and above the regular license. Regular driver's licenses and birth certificates are not accepted for USA-Canada border

'REAL ID' enhanced drivers licencses are now issued by most states.  You will likely have to gather several documents and appear in person to get one as the old DMV records don't suffice.  Your DMV should have a page explaining the requirments.

Updated page at DHS:  https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users