• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

Some interesting tidbits in this update, including permanent names for East Link (some are changed from the preliminary ones), better future signage AND color coded lines.  I hope the name "Link" will officially remain, such as Link Blue Line for example--after so many years that brand name is well enough known that many simply say they are "taking Link".

Full project update is here.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

You know your transit system has come of age when you get route color designations.  As one direct north-south line, no matter how much it's extended, there is no need for route designations since there are only two destinations at the north and south ends. One the East Link opens, that all changes.  I don't think Seattle's system will ever get like Los Angeles, where they either seem to have run out of colors, or are afraid to use certain colors for their gang denotations.   I wonder if both lines will go as far north as Northgate, or else one might turn back sooner.  The St. Louis Metrolink LRT system does this with its two-route system, where there is no need for both Blue Line and Red Line vehicles to go all the way to the Shiloh-Scott station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

It looks like both "lines" will start at Northgate with the blue line veering off eastward after the Chinatown/International District station.  So it appears, for the foreseeable future at least, that there will be only the two "lines", running in tandem (on same tracks) for a good stretch.  I assume all trains will stop at all stations and there will never be any expresses, but, who knows?  The sky's the limit!

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Express service on light rail is very rare but not unprecedented.   NJ TRANSIT's HBLRT has a few limited stop runs on its route between Bayonne and Hoboken for the rush hours.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users