Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 05:43 PM

Trains News Wire

News photos: NJ Transit wraps locomotive to honor model railroading company

November 17, 2023

ALP45DP commemorates 100th anniversary of Atlas Model Railroad Co.

TRN_NJ_Transit_Atlas_1.jpgNJ Transit has unveiled ALP45DP No. 4503 in a wrap honoring Atlas Model Railroad Co. NJ Transit

KEARNY, N.J. — NJ Transit, which has previously wrapped or painted locomotives to honor its railroading predecessors, has now wrapped a locomotive to honor a New Jersey-based model railroading-firm: Atlas Model Railroad Co. of Hillside, N.J., which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2024.

SNIP

Atlas, which is offering a model of the special unit, has photos of the wrap in progress on its Facebook page.

More here.  

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:36 AM

Railway Age, 12/1/23

Commentary
  For Atlas (Who Didn’t Shrug), a 1:1 Scale NJT Locomotive

Written by William C. Vantuono, Editor-in-Chief

NJT_Atlas_0127.jpegAll photos: William C. Vantuono

Full disclosure: When I’m not dealing with full-size railroad rolling stock, I operate (don’t say “play with,” please) model trains. I have a fully operational O scale railway, and a collection of HO models on display. My 1:48th scale empire is conveniently located in a room next to my home office. I indulge myself only in my spare time, of course …

NJT_Atlas_0125.jpeg

I jumped at the chance today (Dec. 1) to attend the unveiling of a New Jersey Transit ALP-45DP dual-power locomotive in a unique livery: Atlas Model Railroad Co. of Hillside, N.J. NJT, celebrating the 40th anniversary of regional/commuter rail operations this year, partnered with Atlas to celebrate that company’s 100th anniversary, coming up real soon, in 2024. The talented folks at NJT’s Meadows Maintenance Complex, through a generous sponsorship from Atlas, wrapped ALP-45DP 4503 in Atlas centennial graphics. The result is rather stunning.

NJT_Atlas_0123.jpegDCC is “Digital Command Control,” kind of like CTC (but not PTC) in miniature.

This effort is the opposite of what model railroad companies and modelers have traditionally done for generations, which is to create a scale replica of the “real thing.” Here, NJT and Atlas worked together to design a centennial scheme and apply it to a “1:1 scale” prototype. Sometime in 2024, Atlas will have 1/87th (HO) and 1/160th (N) model replicas of 4503 with matching MultiLevel passenger coaches. They are now available for preorder.

SNIP

AtlasHOCataogCover_nifty05.jpgAtlas Model Railroad Co. image.

I have two requests for Santa (well, Atlas and NJT) for this Christmas: 1) Offer the models in O scale so I can operate a trainset on my layout. 2) Wrap a set of MultiLevels, including a cab car, in the Atlas centennial scheme.

Happy Holidays!

More here.  

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users