• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

As Alan was boarding the LSL in NYP I was boarding an Acela in BOS headed back from a standards board meeting. Oh well.... I wish I was boarding the LSL instead.... but C'est la vie. The Acela ride was fine to NWK where it arrived 10mins late after inexplicably sitting for extra time at NYP, while the Regional departed before it!

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well the Lake Shore is running about 50 minutes down at South Bend. However, the Capitol is doing worse, as we passed Kevin and the others just outside of Elkhart. Apparently they were running out of fuel and the crew made the correct decision to stop at the NS yard and take on a few gallons of fuel, such that they could actually reach Chicago without running out of fuel. I'm not sure just how far behind us the Capitol is, but we've been doing the usual track dance weaving in and out around various freight trains. So I've no doubt that the Capitol is also being subjected to that same speed killing dance.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Well the Lake Shore is running about 50 minutes down at South Bend. However, the Capitol is doing worse, as we passed Kevin and the others just outside of Elkhart. Apparently they were running out of fuel and the crew made the correct decision to stop at the NS yard and take on a few gallons of fuel, such that they could actually reach Chicago without running out of fuel.

It is absolutely amazing what the heavy weight of all those OTOL members will do to a train's fuel consumption rate, what with huge earphones and what nots involved. :lol:

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

It is absolutely amazing what the heavy weight of all those OTOL members will do to a train's fuel consumption rate, what with huge earphones and what nots involved. :lol:

Well yes, I weigh 40 pounds more with my "stuff" along, but our first conductor out of Washington may have been 10 times that much. He may have consumed much of our fuel. #29 arrived at 10:47 AM, over 2 hours down.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well 8 of us are now on the EB, which left Chicago on time. We're currently at Wisconsin Dells, making a more or less on time stop. So far the trip is proceeding fine, although there does seem to be a bit of an issue with the AC in the Portland sleeper. It's not horribly hot in the sleeper, but it is a bit warm for comfort. Hopefully once the sun is off the car, the AC will be able to catch up.
Alan,

#16 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Aloha Evan, RRick and I are approximately on time with dinner in the diner in about 30 minutes from now. Even says "Its wonderful, its amazing" and she says "that there are not many trees where we are now, between Pasa Robles and Selina's

#17 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

And I am sitting outside the Railroad Museum in Altoona waiting for it to open at 10am :)

#18 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

We're currently in Cut Bank running right on schedule. Don't have long before I loose a signal, hence this short report.
Alan,

#19 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:20 AM

37 minutes early into Spokane. Engine is just being attached to the Portland section. Great obs crews on the eb.

#20 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

37 minutes early into Spokane. Engine is just being attached to the Portland section. Great obs crews on the eb.

What are you doing up at that hour? Shouldn't big boys like you be in bed at that time? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users