KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 83006 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

From Las Vegas, NV Sun, 10/19/09:

We have all heard about the two high-speed-rail proposals that promise to whisk passengers between Las Vegas and Southern California in little more than an hour, the steel-wheels-on-rails DesertXpress and the magnetically propelled maglev train.

But you probably haven’t heard of SolaTrek, Tubular Rail and the Sunlight Bullet Expressway. One of those, maybe, could be the real future of swift mass transportation.

More here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1517 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

IMHO, the victorville option is not an option. Once people get in there car to drive to the station in Victorville, then they will stay in there car. They would still have to fight LA traffic and drive over Cajon pass to get there. Anaheim is a better idea, but it by passes downtown LA. Not sure that is a good idea.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 83006 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Steve, I believe I read someplace that the Victorville option is not as bad as it seems. An intra-California HSR line would be running through Victorville just north of Cajon Pass, and the line to/from Las Vegas would run interlined with that one to get to other points in California. And same with Anaheim. The very first segment of HSR will be the portion between Los Angeles and Anaheim, so the HSR line from Vegas would already have upgraded tracks to use to get into L.A., much like the SW Chief meets the shore route at Fullerton and goes up to L.A.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 Rumpled

Rumpled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

To me, a resident of Orange County; Victorville is useless as a railhead. As Steve mentions, once I fight all the traffic and get up the Cajon, I might as well finish my drive to Vegas. That's where I could finally start making some time (except Fri nites = murder). Then I'll even have my car there. VV to LV will be easier to build, essentially nothing in the way. At least bring it into Berdoo or ANA or LAX where we can connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users