#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82764 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:23 AM

In the train pictured here, the car in red white & blue livery is designed for Utah's FrontRunner. However, the picture was taken in Los Angeles Union Station, and the car itself came from New Jersey. Trains make strange bedfellows. This is a Comet I coach, made surplus by NJ TRANSIT as they modernized their fleet. Utah Transit Authority (UTA) needed it, but not right away as they had only opened FrontRunner North at that time, but FrontRunner South was years away. So they leased them to Metrolink in Southern California, which needed the extra capacity. Metrolink also had some ex-NJT Comet I cars that UTA had not yet painted, so they were still in NJT livery with the orange/pink/blue stripes.

Posted Image

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

That's interesting how equipment gets around. I'm not to excited about riding in the comet cars.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82764 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

The above is of course, Metrolink. FrontRunner will have all red-white-blue livery. I believe that every FrontRunner consist has one of those Comet's, and the rest are bilevels similar to those seen in the Metrolink train in the photo. I agree we'll enjoy the upper level of a bilevel coach a lot more.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users