#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 December 2003 - 12:44 PM

While we plan to have our Winter 2004 RailFest in Philadelphia in a little over 5 weeks, I also try to plan ahead, so we know what is in store for the immediate future. Our next big event following Philadelphia will be in July of 2004, but we never reached a clear concensus on where that Fest might take place.

We had some votes from our Boston and Chicago friends for Toronto. This would represent our group's first meet outside the USA. Recently, Montreal was also nominated. Aside from the west coast of the USA, the only other place that we have not done before that clearly has plenty of rail to ride is Dallas, TX.

I have worked out possible itineraries for each of these cities, as well as future return trips to Boston, New York, Chicago, and even Philadelphia beyond the working Fest now being planned. There are located here.

Toronto has four rapid transit lines, as well as a large number of streetcars. But although there are 5 commuter rail lines, only two of them are possible for Fest purposes because the others do not offer return trips. Two days in town, plus two days spent taking a round trip on the MAPLE LEAF.

Montreal has four rapid transit lines also, and 5 commuter rail lines, three of which can be ridden round trip by our group, provided one of them is done on a weekday. Two days in Montreal, plus two days round trip on the ADIRONDACK.

Dallas has its two quite long light rail lines, a heritage streetcar line that has been taken over by DART as well and extended to meet the LRT, and one commuter rail line to Fort Worth. And, if we use AMTRAK to get there from Chicago, we can stopover in St. Louis for 7 hours and ride their entire Metro LRT as well. For those from the east coast, this translates to 8 days including the round trip between the east coast and Chicago, and the trips on the TEXAS EAGLE and other AMTRAK trains.

We will try to take a formal vote on this in person in Philadelphia on January 17th amongst our core participants. In the meantime, please look at my site and decide which option looks best to you!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:43 AM

I have read the transcript of the most recent Sunday Chat session, at which the discussion of future RailFests was probably the hottest topic. Unfortunately I could not be there for the earlier part of the Chat due to work and weather issues, but I would like to take this opportunity to clear up some possibly pre-conceived notions that may have arisen from my publicizing potential future plans.

First of all, nothing is etched in stone. As I have learned from several years of planning these Fests, things can and will change, sometimes as late as the day of the Fest.

For the possible St. Louis/Dallas Fest, the AMTRAK route was chosen (taking a Regional to Washington and then the CAPITOL LIMITED) for several reasons:
[*] Variety
[*] Superliners
[*] Since we have plenty of time to kill in Chicago (with no connections to make that day), a later morning arrival means more time on the rails.

For the eastbound trip, the LAKE SHORE LIMITED was chosen because we would be making a same-day connection from the TEXAS EAGLE, and the LSL departs at 7 PM, whereas the scheduled layover betwen the EAGLE and CAPITOL is just three hours.

Nobody says our Fest must begin or end on the train. There are five trains from the East Coast to Chicago: the Boston LAKE SHORE LIMITED, the New York LAKE SHORE LIMITED, the CARDINAL, the THREE RIVERS, and the CAPITOL LIMITED. If you have a more desirable train to take to or from Chicago, then take it.

About an 8-day Fest: Obviously the official part of the Fest is the part within the city we are visiting. In Chicago, it was a 4-day Fest, although I made the first day a "Pre-Fest" because a late inbound train could cause problems with keeping to an itinerary, and in fact that is exactly what happened. For those of us who came from the East Coast, the 4-day Fest became a 6-day vacation when factoring in the two overnight trains. Thus the potential St. Louis/Dallas Fest would actually be 3 days if Dallas is considered alone, 4 days with St. Louis. To somebody originating from Chicago, it would be 5 days, including the round trip on the TEXAS EAGLE. For those from the East Coast, add two days for the overnight trips, plus another necessary overnight in Chicago.

If we remove St. Louis from the equation, then everyone subtracts one day. We could arrive in Dallas on Day 3 instead of Day 2 of the itinerary. But I felt that it would be a crime to pass right by a growing light rail system in St. Louis without stopping to ride it.

The same goes for potential Fests in Toronto or Montreal. Each is a two-day Fest, but it would require two day trips to get to and from those cities from New York. If somebody is coming from Chicago to Toronto, they can consider the time it will take for a round trip on the INTERNATIONAL, or whatever means of travel might have replaced that train by then.

Remember, I always say that nobody should feel obligated to participate in every minute of every Fest. Anyone may join us later in the day or leave us before we are done if they have other plans. Likewise, you can cut your time short and join us on the second or third day, or leave the city a day or two before the rest of the group does if you so desire. And it is not a crime to travel by means other than by AMTRAK. I have the utmost respect for anyone who would sacrifice personal comfort to travel on a less favorite mode of transporation, such as a Greyhound bus or an airplane, just to be with the group to ride trains. Flying to the host city of the Fest will obviously save you a couple of days of travel. The choice is yours.

I try to schedule the longer Fests during the summer, so that people can take vacations when it is more convenient, and bring their kids who are not in school at the time. The third weekend of the month is usually chosen because it follows the 15th, when many people get paid.

The number of overnights in hotels also came up. Not everybody can afford to go in sleepers on AMTRAK. A night off the rails, in order to maximize our time during the daytime on the rails in the host city, is a good thing. If anything, those who travel in coach will enjoy the bed and the badly-needed shower.

Finally, since the venue of our next Fest after Philadelphia is such a hot topic, and since not everyone will be able to go to Philadelphia next month, I'll take back the part about voting on the next Fest site when we are in Philadelphia. We'll surely discuss it there, but obviously the choice should be made by simple majority vote, which we can handle via this medium at the appropriate time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:41 AM

I've enabled the link on my website here for a potential Fest in Southern California, to match the one I put together for Northern California. There are enough Fests out there to take us into the next decade!!

The SoCal Fest would include:
[*] Round trip on AMTRAK between the East Coast and California. Westbound trip via Chicago and the CAPITOL LIMITED and SOUTHWEST CHIEF. Eastbound trip via Jacksonville and the SUNSET LIMITED and SILVER STAR.
[*] L.A. Metro Red, Blue, Green, and Gold Lines.
[*] All or part of most Metrolink commuter rail lines.
[*] Waterfront Red Car in San Pedro.
[*] Coaster commuter rail line.
[*] San Diego Trolley.
[*] AMTRAK's PACIFIC SURFLINER.

It comes out to almost 6 full days in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas, with plenty of time built in just in case we are severely delayed and thus miss some of the intended trains. If the make-up time is not needed, why not do some sightseeing while there?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 31 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

If the make-up time is not needed, why not do some sightseeing while there?

Certainly plenty of sightseeing opportunities in Socal!

And let me again state my long standing offer: You come to San Diego; you first lunch opportunity is on me.

One comment on the proposed schedule. By the time this Fest takes place (not I'm not saying "if") the San Diego Trolley Blue Line extension from Mission San Diego to intersect the Orange Line will be completed, making a "circle trip" possible.

For example: Leave Santa Fe Depot via Blue to Mission Valley and east to the Orange Line connection, then on the Orange out to Santee, then on the Orange inbound to 12th & Imperial (transfer station), then Blue line south to San Ysidro (International Border), then Blue line north to the Santa Fe Depot. This does miss the "Harbor line" portion of the Orange Line, so if time would permit, continue on the inbound Orange Line into the downtown loop which passes the Santa Fe Depot, then down the "harbor line" back to 12th & Imperial -- then back to the Depot on either the Orange or Blue.
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users