#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'll probably end up changing trains in RGH. Doesn't RGH have a new station?

No. They are planning a new station, but it's years away. Raleigh does have a First Class lounge, but it's on par with those in Miami and New Orleans and nothing like the Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela.

I was thinking about taking the Meteor all the way to Winter Park, and turning back on the NB Meteor back to JAX.

Definitely one of my considerations as well. However Penny has cautioned that with SunRail construction, the connection from 97 to 98 might be missed. There have been days when 98 left before 97 got there. That's not to say they are late every day, but it's yet another risk you expose yourself to. Next station north is DeLand, which by the timetable allows 3 hours but it could be less if 97 gets in late. But then there wouldn't be impacts from SunRail north of Deland. (Makes one long for return of the Sanford station stop for conventional Amtrak trains!) The shorter Jacksonville layover seems more appealing, since assuming 98 gets there on time, the remaining layover still allows enough leeway for the round trip on the city buses, the Skyway, and dinner.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Chris, there are days when 97 loses well over an hour between DeLand and WPK and there are days when the delays are less than a half hour. I do not think there is any way to predict. I am no longer doing the points runs from WPK to ORL and back (97 to 98) because half the time 98 leaves ORL before 97 arrives. I believe that Shanghai is going to skip JAX altogether and go all the way on 97 to ORL and then pick up 92 in ORL northbound (and hang around Orlando/WPK with me) for 6 hours more or less.

#13 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

I've been considering taking the Meteor to Orlando, then heading to MCO and flying home from there. I'll be in Jacksonville in October for a technical committee meeting, so I'll be able to ride the people mover then. Since it sounds like a significant number of the Fester's will be skipping at least the published schedule of JAX activities, I would not want to get off the Meteor at JAX only to find myself all by my lonesome. Maybe I could find someone to drive me from ORL to MCO? I tip well!!!! :lol:

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Since it sounds like a significant number of the Fester's will be skipping at least the published schedule of JAX activities, I would not want to get off the Meteor at JAX only to find myself all by my lonesome.

Just to set things straight, no final decisions have been made regarding Jacksonville. Lest anyone think we're skipping Jacksonville, it's still very much on the table... either 13 hours as published, or possibly the shorter layover with more Amtrak south of there.

Please also let's get away from the thought that because you have ridden the Skyway before, or plan to ride it another time, that you can't ride it in July. I've already ridden it, but that does not mean I can't ride it again to explore it with fellow railfans. This is a group event.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

How's Deland as far as a layover point? Guess there is not much going on there?

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

From what I hear, there's not much ---- as the station is far from "downtown".

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

According to Wikipedia: The DeLand Amtrak station is located several miles west of downtown DeLand, at the location formerly known as DeLand Junction.

I have been to DeLand (not the train station) many times. It is a quaint little town, home to Stetson University. I think one could find plenty to do in downtown DeLand (eating, drinking, shopping, etc.) for several hours. I do not know if there is transportation from the train station to downtown. Since it is a college town, I would assume there would be some sort of transportation. But then again, it is in Florida and the rules are different here. :lol:

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Since it sounds like a significant number of the Fester's will be skipping at least the published schedule of JAX activities, I would not want to get off the Meteor at JAX only to find myself all by my lonesome.

Just to set things straight, no final decisions have been made regarding Jacksonville. Lest anyone think we're skipping Jacksonville, it's still very much on the table... either 13 hours as published, or possibly the shorter layover with more Amtrak south of there.

Please also let's get away from the thought that because you have ridden the Skyway before, or plan to ride it another time, that you can't ride it in July. I've already ridden it, but that does not mean I can't ride it again to explore it with fellow railfans. This is a group event.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I have little or no desire to ride the people mover simply to ride the people mover. I'll have a chance to do that this fall. If the group is doing it, then that is what makes the ride worthwhile. However, the chatter here is that at least some of the group is going to deviate from the posted itinerary and either delay the Jacksonville rides until later in the day, or skip Jacksonville completely. If it turns out that a significant portion of the group skips the Jacksonville activities, then there would be little reason for me to plan anything involving Jacksonville. This is, as you said, a group event. No group, no event.

I guess it is simply wait and see. I would not want to commit to Jacksonville only to find myself the only one there.

#19 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I haven't booked anything yet, but trying to decide if its worth booking a sleeper for the JAX to NC leg. It's a overnight hop and I'd only get one meal for breakfast. Right now it's at $146 for the roomette.

I'll probably end up changing trains in RGH. Doesn't RGH have a new station?

Still undecided on my route to JAX as well. I'm thinking of either flying to Boston and burning an upgrade coupon on Acela, then getting the Meteor out of NYP. Or if I should use AGR points and come from some place like Denver or El Paso again. Getting to Florida from the west is a great use of AGR points, and it'll probably be a long time before I take the train to Florida again. Of course that risks missing a connection again like happened to me last time.

Anyone else thinking going further south into Florida? I was thinking about taking the Meteor all the way to Winter Park, and turning back on the NB Meteor back to JAX. This would give us almost 5 hours in JAX still vs. 10 or 12. Just seeing what everyone else was thinking about.

I considered this but the timing is tight as there is only a 30 minute window down in NYP between the Acela and the Meteor, you might be better off going all the way to WAS and transferring there where you have just over 90 minutes of time...

#20 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I considered this but the timing is tight as there is only a 30 minute window down in NYP between the Acela and the Meteor, you might be better off going all the way to WAS and transferring there where you have just over 90 minutes of time...

Yeah I posted that before looking at the Acela schedule, and realized it's a Sunday and the first Acela out of Boston is at 11 AM! So I'll probably shelve the Acela plans for that part of the journey. Maybe I'll tack it on to the end of the fest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users