• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

One caution with WebTicket is the pending change that will make tickets only good for 14 days. I assume they will apply the old rules or a grace period to tickets before the 12/30 effective date. However it would not be good to have tickets that expire 14 days after 12/30 if they apply the new rules right away.http://www.mta.info/.....ved Fares.htm

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

Is there a problem with the metro north website? I was trying to open the web ticket links and explore buying a metro card a head of time. I might be flying into LGA, and it would be easiest to have a metro card before getting on the bus to the subway.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

One caution with WebTicket is the pending change that will make tickets only good for 14 days. I assume they will apply the old rules or a grace period to tickets before the 12/30 effective date. However it would not be good to have tickets that expire 14 days after 12/30 if they apply the new rules right away.

Thanks for the warning on that, John. I almost went and purchased them the other night. I wonder why they put such a drastic limitation on the life of a ticket. What was it before, 6 months? The only reason I can think of is to prevent ticket hoarding in the event of future fare increases. And I would think that they would have to grandfather the rules on any tickets already purchased, since the expectations of anyone who bought tickets was that they could be used within a longer timeframe. NJT tried to be slick when they had their fare increase earlier this year, but they had to backpedal and continue accepting older tickets when it became apparent their legal defense costs would have exeeded the extra revenues achieved by the fare increase.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Is there a problem with the metro north website? I was trying to open the web ticket links and explore buying a metro card a head of time. I might be flying into LGA, and it would be easiest to have a metro card before getting on the bus to the subway.

Steve, if I had more value than mere pocket change on my Metrocard, I'd send it to you right now. I think when you get the commuter rail WebTicket you can optionally buy it with Metrocard capabilities built in, with a set value.But there is some uneasiness in that with the 14-day limit, one doesn't have much breathing room should there be mail delays. Subtract a couple of days too if you're going to be leaving for the Fest a couple of days before Sunday 1/16, the day you would be using the tickets... since they would do you no good arriving in your mailbox at home while you're on your way to the NY area.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Steve, if I had more value than mere pocket change on my Metrocard, I'd send it to you right now. I think when you get the commuter rail WebTicket you can optionally buy it with Metrocard capabilities built in, with a set value.But there is some uneasiness in that with the 14-day limit, one doesn't have much breathing room should there be mail delays. Subtract a couple of days too if you're going to be leaving for the Fest a couple of days before Sunday 1/16, the day you would be using the tickets... since they would do you no good arriving in your mailbox at home while you're on your way to the NY area.

I just noticed the 14 day thing, and I will just buy my tickets in NYC. It never takes that long anyway if I allow extra time. Is it possible to buy metro cards at LGA? Or do I need to go crawl around on the subway tracks to find the one I dropped two years ago. :D

#6 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

Is it possible to buy metro cards at LGA? Or do I need to go crawl around on the subway tracks to find the one I dropped two years ago. :D

Yes, several of the convenient stores down by the baggage claim sell Metro cards. Think they are pre-paid with $10 on them. Or at least they cost $10 and have something like $11.50 on them.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

Yes, several of the convenient stores down by the baggage claim sell Metro cards. Think they are pre-paid with $10 on them. Or at least they cost $10 and have something like $11.50 on them.

Thanks Chris, I figured you would know your airports, as does Bill M. :) However, that seems like a ripoff -- IIRC the Metrocard itself is dispensed at subway stations with the value you purchased and no additional charge for the card itself. Though we should not give the MTA any ideas ;) ; many other large city transit agencies already do engage in this form of robbery. Charging out-of-towners in particular 5 bucks or more for a card they may never use again is a form of extortion IMO. :angry:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

I heard the 14-day rule, changed from 6 months, was to cut down revenue loss from reuse of tickets uncollected on the train. It was originally proposed as seven days then adjusted after feedback during the hearings.Indirectly it may result in more revenue as riders pass on WebTicket to rely on ticket offices and machines, and then board and pay the $6-7 extra when they find the lines too long to make their train. OTOH, those people might not be back (i.e. they would drive the next time after finding how much it costs to buy a whole family's worth of tickets on the train).The City Ticket, originally a temporary measure to make up for an excessive fare increase during MTA budget surplus times, is only good one day and I believe that rule was because of a high rate of uncollected tickets during the short trip. That fare can't be bought on the train (regular fare plus $6-7 on board surcharge).

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Indirectly it may result in more revenue as riders pass on WebTicket to rely on ticket offices and machines, and then board and pay the $6-7 extra when they find the lines too long to make their train. OTOH, those people might not be back (i.e. they would drive the next time after finding how much it costs to buy a whole family's worth of tickets on the train).

And that, in turn, makes it sound like they are trying to eventually do away with WebTicket altogether, which is a step in the wrong direction considering how much one can do and purchase online today. But they were eating the postage charges as well, which might account at least partially for these decisions.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

Is it possible to buy metro cards at LGA? Or do I need to go crawl around on the subway tracks to find the one I dropped two years ago. :D

What are the hours on these stores? If I come in around 9 or 10 pm will they be open? What if the flight us late and the stores close? Is it possible to pay a cash fare in the bus and then get a metro card at the subway station?I'm use to just buying it at a machine and going on my way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users