• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:53 AM

Weather channel app says nothing about rain or ice. It shows sunny with high of 36. Well see which one is right

#12 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Weather channel app says nothing about rain or ice. It shows sunny with high of 36. Well see which one is right

Wunderground says for New York:

Snow probability....

Saturday 7am 10% chance, 1pm 30%, 7pm30%, Sunday 1am 30%, 7am 30%, 1pm 20%

That is part of the reason that I decided to stay Sat night at Newark Hilton.

Snow probabilities reduce as one goes North/East on Saturday.

Neither Wonderground nor Accuweather are forecasting any significant accumulations as of now.

On Saturday.....

New Haven is going to be partly cloudy with max temp of 27F.
Springfield is going to be partly cloudy with a max temp of 23F. Bundle up folks!

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Right now, the city of Danbury is "closed". Connecticut got hit pretty hard by this latest storm. I'm sure they will have the platform clean for our upcoming layover there. Metro North Danbury and Waterbury Branches are totally out of service today is suspended.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Weather Channel keeps showing every hour today a news story from Danbury, CT Metro North station showing the piles of snow. They got over 2 feet, but the plowed piles are up to 6 feet. Hartford, CT received 22.5 inches, a record single snowfall for that city. So Springfield, MA cannot be much different. Weather reports for the weekend still say partly cloudy, but there should not be any more precipitation. Do prepare for snow and possibly ice. Overnight lows are expected to be in the teens, so early mornings will be rough before it warms up.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Actually the latest forecast that I've seen indicates that a very fast moving Alberta Clipper is supposed to move through on Saturday night. Current forecast indicate anything from a very light dusting to perhaps an inch of snow. Nothing major to be concerned about, and it will probably hit well after everyone is either back home or in their respective hotels. But there will still be a bit of precipitation if this forecast holds. And according to one source, Springfield got 18 inches.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#16 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Here is an interesting Google Map put together by The Weather Channel with snowfall totals in New England. Use the +/- buttons to zoom in until you can see the map details. Click on the snowflakes for a pop-up showing the snowfall totals at that location.

Snow Map

#17 The Dutchman

The Dutchman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:self-propelled railcar engineering<br />NTSB Reports

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

The 30.5" shown for North Haven CT is the greatest since the infamous Blizzard of 1888. Although the "official" depth for Essex Ct is 24", I have well over three feet at the end of my driveway. There were areas of much greater snowfall in small areas, apparently due to storm intensity similar to micro-bursts. Interestingly, no major poer outages, which I attribute to little ice. Quite cold during the day; bundle up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users