Photo

Where do we hold our RailFest in summer 2004?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Where would you prefer we hold our summer RailFest in 2004?

Where would you prefer we hold our summer RailFest in 2004?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:24 PM

I am posting this poll so we can better determine within our membership where the majority would like to have our Fest this summer. Early results can be a basis for discussion when some of us meet in person this weekend in Philadelphia. So feel free to vote in this poll, although I would prefer that only those who plan to participate in our July rail fest cast their votes, since you're the ones who have to go through the expense of traveling to the chosen host city.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:26 PM

Rest assured we won't make any final decisions on the site of our Summer 2004 Fest while in Philadelphia, but we can at least determine among that select group where we prefer and discuss the reasons why. Hopefully with this poll you will also state the basis for your decision.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:26 PM

I forgot to mention that there are possible itineraries for Dallas/St. Louis, Montreal, and Toronto (as well as others for the future) on my website at http://pages.prodigy...ell/kkindex.htm (scroll down to the second table). None of these itineraries are final, but it can give you an idea of what you might expect to do when we are in those cities. Furthermore, all of the itineraries were based on weekday train riding, whereas we may be there only on a weekend. This would obviously affect the schedules I presented since headways would be longer.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

I hope to get back on track; I missed last year in Chicago due to a conflict. This year the bad weekend appears to be 7/10-11, but that is far away. :unsure: If it is Dallas, I might get to a couple of new long-distance friends from the Millionaire TV show, BUT if I recall correctly the weather is brutally hot in the summer and there is a lot less to do vs. the Canada cities. So I'm thinking either Toronto or Montreal. I voted Montreal, because I haven't been there since 1989 (I was in Toronto in 2001) and I like the Adirondack more than the Maple Leaf. Also, I've only taken the Adirondack as far as Port Kent while I've been on the entire Maple Leaf route. However, I am close to 50/50 between the two. John

#5 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:22 PM

I voted for Toronto but Montreal would be okay too. I have to agree about Dallas weather in summer. Anyway, I'm thinking of flying to Chicago, and taking whatever trains exist to Montreal (if that be the choice). I've never ridden any of the MI trains. But then I've never ridden the Adirondack either, and I hear it's the most scenic train in the East -- so color me 50-50 on either of the Canadian cities. (BTW, the only Canadian cities I've visited are Vancouver and Halifax, both of course during my Navy daze.) Question: Is a passport "required" or very highly desired for a trip into/out of Canada these days?? If not "required", what is?
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#6 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:19 AM

Question: Is a passport "required" or very highly desired for a trip into/out of Canada these days?? If not "required", what is?

HaRRy,

A passport is probably prefered and certainly easier, however it is not required. Simply having a photo ID, like a drivers license, and your birth certificate is all that you need to cross into Canada.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#7 Amfleet

Amfleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:33 PM

Question:  Is a passport "required" or very highly desired for a trip into/out of Canada these days??  If not "required", what is?

HaRRy,

A passport is probably prefered and certainly easier, however it is not required. Simply having a photo ID, like a drivers license, and your birth certificate is all that you need to cross into Canada.

Yes, but don't forget about coming back into the United States. My mother was almost forced to stay in Canada a couple of years ago because she did not have her passport on her. When our family tried to re-enter back into the US at Niagara Falls, customs was very reluctant to let her back in. It was a very long an drawn out process, so to be on the safe side I would bring a passport and also a birth certificate and license. Better be safe than sorry, especially since you are coming all the way from California. :)

#8 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

Yes, but don't forget about coming back into the United States. My mother was almost forced to stay in Canada a couple of years ago because she did not have her passport on her. When our family tried to re-enter back into the US at Niagara Falls, customs was very reluctant to let her back in. It was a very long an drawn out process, so to be on the safe side I would bring a passport and also a birth certificate and license. Better be safe than sorry, especially since you are coming all the way from California. :)

The US requirement is exactly the same as the Canadian requirement, either a passport or a birth certificate in conjuction with a photo id. Yes a passport might make things easier if there are problems or questions, but it is not required by US law.

I've come and gone to Canada a dozen times with nothing more than my license and my BC.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:27 PM

I'll get a passport (had one a long time ago -- expired). That and my driver's license and my retired Navy ID card SHOULD be enough for anywhere! Thanks guys.
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:20 AM

I hope to get back on track; I missed last year in Chicago due to a conflict. This year the bad weekend appears to be 7/10-11, but that is far away. :unsure:

If it is Dallas, I might get to a couple of new long-distance friends from the Millionaire TV show, BUT if I recall correctly the weather is brutally hot in the summer and there is a lot less to do vs. the Canada cities.

So I'm thinking either Toronto or Montreal. I voted Montreal, because I haven't been there since 1989 (I was in Toronto in 2001) and I like the Adirondack more than the Maple Leaf. Also, I've only taken the Adirondack as far as Port Kent while I've been on the entire Maple Leaf route. However, I am close to 50/50 between the two.

John

John,

No matter which venue is chosen for the Fest, it will include the weekend following the one for which you have a conflict, namely July 17-18. However since multi-day Fests now appear to be the norm, it would obviously include many weekdays as well. If we did Dallas and those like us who were coming from the East Coast elected to go by rail, we would be involved in an 8-day vacation. It would probably run, for example, from a Wednesday to a Wednesday (with the weekend days in the middle being in the host city). For Toronto or Montreal, it would be Thursday through Sunday (including the rail trip there from New York) or Friday through Monday....again taking in that weekend of the 17th & 18th.

About Dallas weather -- while it is true that Michael and I happened to be blasted with 112 degree temps when we stepped off the TEXAS EAGLE, (well the train was late and we got to Forth Worth after it had gotten dark and cooled down to 109 degrees! ;) ) that was a heatwave and not indicative of the norm. Also, it was August, not July, when we were there.

In Dallas there is the McKinney Avenue Streetcar, the two light rail lines (which together can fill up a day), and the Trinity Express to Fort Worth. The Tandy Subway in Fort Worth is gone, and they are redeveloping the AirTrain we rode at DFW Airport into a more modern people mover. If time allows, there is also the Tarantula tourist train.

Montreal is mainly subway lines, and three of five commuter rail lines in which it is possible to go out and return on the same day. Toronto has subway lines too, the same situation with commuter rail lines, and more than enough streetcar lines to ride.

I, too, have only been as far as Port Kent on the ADIRONDACK (gateway via ferry to Burlington, VT). When I went by rail to Montreal, I went MAPLE LEAF to Toronto, VIA's overnight train to Montreal, and then I returned on the overnight and now dearly departed MONTREALER (which was in its final phase where it was going via Williamantic & New London, CT, not through Springfield/Hartford).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users