CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

Alan,

Got it!  Thank you.

I always used the Icons and filled in the boxes; I'll have to commit the format to memory. ^_^

Ross

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ross,

Are you saying that when you click the icon above the typing box that it's not working properly?

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

For now, the first change I see is that if you  have an avatar picture that normally appears by your name on board posts, you will have to manually add it once more by attaching an offline or online photo to it.

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(0,0,205);]KK:  My avatar showed up automatically without me having to do anything [manually].  The next time I try to add a link, I'll see if I can follow Alan's instructions above re:  quotes.[/color][/font]

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#14 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Ross,   Are you saying that when you click the icon above the typing box that it's not working properly?

Alan, 1. All of the icons are now grayed out - not sure why. 2. When I could use the "Link" icon all I could get it to do was create an "abbreviated" link; could find no way to use it to create a "plain language" hyperlink. Ross

#15 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

1. All of the icons are now grayed out - not sure why.

You accidentally turned off the enhanced editor for posts. Click the icon in the top left of the upper tool bar to turn the enhanced editor back on. It's like a light switch, you can turn it on and off as needed. Personally I leave mine off all the time, as it makes it easier to do things like I'm doing now, which is to break up your quotes so that I can respond to each one individually. But that is just my personal preference. Please do what suits your needs and wishes best.

2. When I could use the "Link" icon all I could get it to do was create an "abbreviated" link; could find no way to use it to create a "plain language" hyperlink.

Hmm, Ok, I'll have to look into that one when I have some more time. I'm still dealing with some of the other repercussions of the upgrade right now; so that will have to wait for right now.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#16 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

Ross,   Are you saying that when you click the icon above the typing box that it's not working properly?

Alan, 1. All of the icons are now grayed out - not sure why. 2. When I could use the "Link" icon all I could get it to do was create an "abbreviated" link; could find no way to use it to create a "plain language" hyperlink. Ross

Ok - I figured out the grayed out icons.  The top left icon looks like a switch; surprise - it is a switch!  It turns all the other icons on and off!  I must have clicked it to see what it would do; now I know!

The link icon gives me something like this for a long url:

http://www.progressi...ynews11/24/2014

I don't see any opportunity to add a plain language tag.

Ross

#17 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

It looks like more than one person, including myself is also having issues with the embedded  tags.  We are ok posting URL's outside of this formatting, but is not doing its job,  at least for now

[color=rgb(0,0,255);]I'm feeling my way through.  One thing I HAVE noticed that's odd.  I have not been able to successfully post external links with the previous url link bracket format with Windows 11, which I usually use--doesn't seem to work.  But it DOES work with Firefox, which is also on my computer.  [/color]

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#18 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

It looks like more than one person, including myself is also having issues with the embedded  tags.  We are ok posting URL's outside of this formatting, but is not doing its job,  at least for now

[color=rgb(0,0,255);]I'm feeling my way through.  One thing I HAVE noticed that's odd.  I have not been able to successfully post external links with the previous url link bracket format with Windows 11, which I usually use--doesn't seem to work.  But it DOES work with Firefox, which is also on my computer.  [/color]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(0,0,128);]Excuse me--I meant no success with Internet Explorer 11.  Time to quit for the evening![/color][/font]

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

As Mark alluded to, the way the board behaves for us may be different depending on what versions of Windows we use, or what web browsers we use.   We had differences with the old board also.  So some of the symptoms we describe here may not be experienced by all. This may make it difficult to troubleshoot what we are finding.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

Another interesting and comical thing I found in the member profiles is that we all seem to have lost our gender.  It says "not telling".   We're not a dating board, but I think the reason is that the old board software did not ask us that question or contain that field.   If this bothers you ----  To fix, you can click the "Edit my Profile" button on the right while in your own profile, and then you'll find the field to search for your specific gender (or you can continue  to be "not telling").

HOWEVER... If your joining the OTOL board pre-dates our requiring new registrations to use the 9-1 countdown code as a field when you signed up, you will now have to enter this code as I did to make the profile edit or it will detect a missing field.  That goes for any profile changes you might choose to make.

Edited by KevinKorell, 25 November 2014 - 02:48 AM.
added thought about 9-1 code

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users