#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82874 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:59 AM

I have updated all pages related to the Boston RailFest (the one postponed from March 2020) to do this 3 years later in Spring 2023.    I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but now with the resumption of Foxboro service, all 5 Downeaster frequencies restored to Brunswick, full service to Fitchburg (as opposed to previous service disruptions for PTC work), and now the opening of the whole Green Line Extension by mid-December 2022, we should be good to resume plans for a Fest during Spring 2023.  I would prefer late March or in April since Daylight Time (and hopefully warmer weather) would be in effect by then, meaning less train travel in darkness.  A date will be decided upon closer to that time.

The homepage for this Fest, as well as all associated pages, was revamped with correct times and 2023 dates.    There are several itinerary options we could follow, particularly if hotel rates remain too expensive in downtown Boston.  If we stayed in downtown Boston, then the full Downeaster trip to Brunswick would be on Saturday (as well as rides on the 2 new Green Line Extension branches) and two MBTA commuter rail rides would be taken on Sunday.    If we stayed in Maine, then we would do one commuter rail trip on Saturday followed by a later Downeaster trip, and the second commuter line as well as the Green Line on Sunday following the return from Maine.   In either case, I also provided both Friday afternoon and Monday morning options to travel the Foxboro Line (which does not operate on weekends).   Depending on what people want to do, we can do Foxboro either Friday or Monday, or I might end up doing it both times if we have a split decision.

Edited by KevinKorell, 16 January 2023 - 07:56 PM.
Changed March 2023 to Spring 2023

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update!

I've been looking forward to this one since the world came unraveled in 2020.

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5381 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:27 AM

I like the Freeport overnight option.  It has the benefit of staying in a small town and having a nice hotel (Hilton Garden Inn) a short walk from the Amtrak station.  The getaway the next morning is too early to have breakfast at the hotel (7:00 open, train at 7:23), but maybe a grab and go or get something on the Downeaster.

Portland also has a nearby hotel (Clarion - a Choice property) that looks a little dated and has mixed reviews and is in a commercial area.  Other hotels are more remote and likely a Uber'Lyft ride.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82874 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:55 AM

That Clarion in Portland is an old white nondescript building that was once a Doubletree that I stayed at years ago.  Other than its convenience I don't know what shape it's in now as Clarion.  There is also a walkable LaQuinta on the other side of the I-295 freeway overpass.  Outside of those, yes you'll need rideshare -- most likely to the concentration of hotels that are near the airport and also walking distance from Maine Mall and almost every fast food chain you can think of.  This past September I stayed at the newer location of Doubletree (a pair of round buildings) and it was perfectly located aside from the short ride in strangers' cars.

HGI in Freeport I've stayed in twice IIRC, and they were nice stays.  I believe there was a sign in the elevator warning that trains pass nearby and might make noise, which could be either an asset or a liability to this group. Of course as an elite Hilton Honors member one can choose their room ahead of time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:14 PM

While selecting dates March is going to be a bad month for me. I have only the weekend of 11-12 and 18-19 open. Weekend of the 25-26 is RPA (NARP) Spring Council Meeting and Day on the Hill the early part of the following week, in Alexandria VA. And the weekend of 4-5 March I will be away in Athens, Greece visiting my Niece for a week. I would suggest though, that other factors in date planning should take priority over my calendar. I will join if I am able to.

#6 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 05:07 PM

I too like the idea of the Freeport layover too. Its always nice to stay in a smaller town, especially when you can walk across the street to a hotel. I might have a wedding to attend on March 17 which I'm not sure if I'm suppose to attend in New Orleans. If so, I'd fly up to Boston on Saturday morning to catch up with everyone. Otherwise I'm open for anything.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82874 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 12:30 PM

We've discussed this in the past, but it bears saying again. Boston's Irish community takes St. Patrick's Day very seriously. Big parades and celebrations. Therefore the March 17-18-19 weekend is likely one of the worst choices to be on transit and possibly end up standing on a moving trolley.  Edit:   Just checked, and the parade is indeed Sunday the 19th.

I'm shooting for the following weekend, the last of the month, which should hopefully prove less crowded. Not yet announcing such, as I don't yet officially have days off. But in looking at hotel rates, be ready for what is typical of Boston. It won't be cheap. That might lend itself to the Freeport option, with one hotel night away from Boston. My plans are for 4 hotel nights so I can be around for both Foxboro options; however I could stay in Providence, RI for the first stay and still get up to Boston by Friday afternoon.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82874 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:58 PM

March is not working out for me, due to other vacations at work.   I changed the parent note in this thread to Spring 2023 but it's looking now like I can't do this until April.... and noting that Easter weekend should be avoided due to heavier travel demands.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 09:30 AM

The weekend of April 1st is the beginning of my Spring Break.  I could participate that weekend.  

#10 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 01:49 PM

I'm guessing March is out now? I have to work on my March schedule starting around now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users