• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm always one to go for free (or included) food, so I'd be inclined to wait for my meal in diner upon departure. I'll probably snack some fast food before hand, if the group chooses to do so.

#22 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5374 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

Attached are the arrival and departure charts for #5, #6, #30 and #49. The data includes all trips originating from March 1 to May 31.

Updated charts are in this reply.

#23 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82658 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thanks, Bill! I don't like those deep red backgrounds showing up on the westbound California Zephyr. Some of those Salt Lake City arrivals in mid-May were well after sunrise the next morning, which kind of kills our overnight reservations and puts us right onto the light rail riding as soon as we get off. Plus that would result in a Rockies crossing overnight. The eastbound California Zephyr looks a little better, though if we had any of those anomalies with very late trains it again could spell disaster for seeing the Front Range by daylight and our Denver arrival. Am I missing something, or is there information for the Chicago arrival too? That would be of great interest to those who are continuing east from CHI with same-day connections. The westbound Lake Shore Limited seems to do well in leaving New York, but suffers delays between Albany and Cleveland, never to recover. It rarely gets to Chicago on time, but it still usually makes its connections with the western trains. Still of concern is the rough patch experienced in the third week of May when it arrived in Chicago between 2 and 3 PM for 5 days in a row. Eastbound Capitol Limited has been habitually late into Washington thru May, with a few on-time or early arrivals the exception. While connections up the Corridor would not be of as much concern since they run hourly, it may make those continuing onward to Florida a little nervous.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#24 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

The cz was delayed by mud slides for some of those days.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82658 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

The cz was delayed by mud slides for some of those days.

But if they take the Wyoming routing don't they come into SLC westbound or DEN eastbound early?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

But if they take the Wyoming routing don't they come into SLC westbound or DEN eastbound early?

Not if the mudslide happens after they are already on the Colorado route. :) In that case they are stuck

#27 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Eastbound Capitol Limited has been habitually late into Washington thru May, with a few on-time or early arrivals the exception. While connections up the Corridor would not be of as much concern since they run hourly, it may make those continuing onward to Florida a little nervous.

It has made be more than a little nervous. I have just changed my reservation from connecting from Capitol Limited to Silver Star to connecting from Capitol Limited to Silver Meteor, giving me some more "breathing" time.

#28 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

I must say the Lake Shore Limited is starting to give me a few anxious moments. But there is nothing that can be done about it. If it is late enough to miss the Zephyr, the only choice will be the big silver bird to Denver from Chicago to catch up with the Zephyr. And if Amtrak cannot handle the reservation gymnastics then it will be all the way to Salt Lake City. But then again I won;t be the only one stuck in that situation. So we'll see.

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82658 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Well our scheduled layover is 4 hours 15 minutes, which should give us some leeway if we are 2 or 3 hours late. After that, it's nail biting time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I think there are quite a few of us that will be on the Lake Shore Limited, at least one of whom will not be willing to fly to catch up with the group if the connection is missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users