#31 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Well the intention in Baltimore was never to "ace" the system --- Been there done that.   If need be we can arrange to turn back sooner than BWI Airport on the light rail, or well before the Owings Mills terminus on the heavy rail.  

A concern I have is that everyone (potentially 18 of us as of now) has to purchase a Day Pass after we get to Baltimore, and as it stood before the recent MARC announcement, we only had about 12 minutes to do so.   The Penn-Camden shuttle light rail line runs on 30-minute headways, so if we end up missing the intended trip we have to wait another 1/2 hour until the next one.  That might result in us just going south on the light rail only to Lexington Market for lunch, and doing all or part of the Metro heavy rail. We'd probably have to cut out the BWI Airport segment.

One way to save some time in buying the Day Passes would be for fewer people to make multiple purchases is that is possible --- in other words one person buying 18 day passes with one credit card, and then that person is paid back in cash later on.  I don't know if multiple day passes can be purchased, or if so if there is a maximum.

Washington Metro concerns me too, if they pull that 24-minute headway stunt.   It could be a long wait if our chosen trips are not the ones still running.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#32 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

I'll be arriving at Baltimore Penn Station at 9:27am on Amtrak 131 (at least in theory).  I believe John is also coming down on #131. I'd be happy to buy day passes while I'm killing time.  If you or someone could text me the type and quantity, I could buy the passes while I await your arrival. Then, you guys can reimburse me later.

#33 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43609 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Well the intention in Baltimore was never to "ace" the system --- Been there done that.   If need be we can arrange to turn back sooner than BWI Airport on the light rail, or well before the Owings Mills terminus on the heavy rail.  

A concern I have is that everyone (potentially 18 of us as of now) has to purchase a Day Pass after we get to Baltimore, and as it stood before the recent MARC announcement, we only had about 12 minutes to do so.   The Penn-Camden shuttle light rail line runs on 30-minute headways, so if we end up missing the intended trip we have to wait another 1/2 hour until the next one.  That might result in us just going south on the light rail only to Lexington Market for lunch, and doing all or part of the Metro heavy rail. We'd probably have to cut out the BWI Airport segment.

One way to save some time in buying the Day Passes would be for fewer people to make multiple purchases is that is possible --- in other words one person buying 18 day passes with one credit card, and then that person is paid back in cash later on.  I don't know if multiple day passes can be purchased, or if so if there is a maximum.

Washington Metro concerns me too, if they pull that 24-minute headway stunt.   It could be a long wait if our chosen trips are the ones not the ones running.

First,

I owe all of you an apology - I researched the Day Pass purchase, drafted an email to Kenin, and somehow ended up not sending it!

The day passes must be purchased one at a time; no multiple purchases.  Not sure how many machines are at the station.  The passes may be purchased with cash or credit card.

This could put a crimp in our time IF our MARC train is delayed. 

Ross

#34 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

Ross, you did tell me about the Day Passes being a separate instrument from the Charm Card (and by extension the SmarTrip® card). I incorporated that into the cost guide I put together. I didn't mention about a limit to the number of day pass purchases possible, but I can still put that in as a late addition. 

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#35 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

I'll be arriving at Baltimore Penn Station at 9:27am on Amtrak 131 (at least in theory).  I believe John is also coming down on #131. I'd be happy to buy day passes while I'm killing time.  If you or someone could text me the type and quantity, I could buy the passes while I await your arrival. Then, you guys can reimburse me later.

I am coming on 131 that day. I will also be going through BAL Penn the afternoon of January 10 and could see how many ticket machines are there.

#36 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43609 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Bill,

I just PM'd Kevin, suggesting we take you up on your offer.  We could collect $3.50 cash from each person coming from Washington.

Ross

#37 CCC

CCC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

There were two ticket machines downstairs at the shuttle track the last time i was there.

Edited by rrrick, 10 January 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#38 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Bill,

I just PM'd Kevin, suggesting we take you up on your offer.  We could collect $3.50 cash from each person coming from Washington.

Ross

.... including people not even in our group or riding the trains in Baltimore.  That might solve the separate checks issue.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#39 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

There were two ticket machines downstairs at the shuttle track the last time i was there.

I saw them just now and both were working.

#40 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

I'll have a smart card. I can use this. Iirc the difference is 1.30 (4.80 vs 3.50). I can live with that if it helps us stay on schedule. If one of those machines us out of order that will be messy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users