#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

Well it's the day before some of us leave for Boston. This may be the last update before the trip, unless something else pops up. I've asked our Boston area hometown group to station themselves at the mouth of the Salem tunnel constantly until Saturday, to make sure nobody else drives a car into it, as happened on Monday. We will be passing through that tunnel 4 times on Saturday so we will rely on the track and tunnel being open and available. I am also told that the weather for our fest should be satisfactory. The good news is that highs are expected to be around 60 on both Friday and Saturday. It will be cloudy, but chances of rain are no more than 40%. The bad news might be a little rain for those who arrive on Thursday, as well as early on Friday. Overnight lows around 50 on Thursday & Friday nights, which is great for this time of year. So it looks to me like a jacket and umbrella might be smart things to bring, but a winter coat might be cumbersome if it's in the 60's. On Saturday night temps will go down into the 40's, with a 40% chance of rain. As for meeting places each morning.... On Friday we start from South Station at 8:50 AM Looking at everyone's hotel plans, I believe that most will find it more convenient to board at South Station rather than Back Bay Station. However for those who are coming from the north, they may wish to join us at Back Bay after taking the Orange Line. At South Station we should begin to assemble around 8:30 AM underneath the new combined Solari Board (Amtrak & MBCR are now on one board rather than separate ones). Upon announcement we walk to the train and board. Anyone who comes later can meet us on the train. Saturday we meet at North Station for an 8:30 AM departure. So we should assemble between 8 and 8:15, and then likewise walk towards the train when announced. Since most will be coming from the Orange and Green Lines, we will meet in the new waiting room on the east end closest to Track 10 and the "Hub Express" cafe. My guess is that a Rockport departure will be closer to that end anyhow.... but anything is of course possible. I've suggested purchasing tickets as needed, but please do so before our meeting time so that you're prepared in unlikely event the crews collect them. I will try hard not to leave town this time still holding commuter rail tickets. More updates as necessary....

Edited by KevinKorell, 05 November 2008 - 01:25 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

Late itinerary updates

These aren't reflected on the main itinerary, but one of both of the following scenarios may very well take place.

Friday evening

Instead of taking an "E" trolley to Prudential, we can board any other trolley and go to the Hynes Convention Center station. This station is closer to the location of Prudential Center's food court than the Prudential station. On the other hand, if it is raining, then the "E" trolley will be better since we can walk under cover of the mall, whereas the walk from Hynes is outdoors.

Saturday

We're talking about a "twilight" trip on the Mattapan trolley. I say "twilight" because it's going to get dark before we complete the round trip, let alone just a one way trip to Mattapan. We will take a vote to see if we should do this before or after dinner. The latter would turn this into a "moonlight" trip. I think before dinner would be more popular since we are otherwise finishing up with the commuter rail riding by about 4 PM. I did not include potential times for a Mattapan round trip (which would involve taking the Orange or Green Line from North Station, then transferring to an Ashmont-bound Red Line train at Downtown Crossing or Park, and then finally the Mattapan trolley at Ashmont), because MBTA's online trip planner does not cooperate in giving me the shortest route by rail.

Dinner on Saturday has been left open to debate as well. I believe that those who scouted out Joe's American Grill in the Back Bay area last November found it to be satisfactory. If we do go to somewhere in this area, we then have to backtrack on the Mattapan trolley, Red Line to Downtown Crossing, and then Orange Line to Back Bay.

For those who don't know, Michael and I are now staying at the Doubletree Bayside, which is close to JFK/U-Mass station on the Old Colony and Red Lines. I feel better being near mass transit rather than relying on a hotel van, as we had with the place in Revere.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Since most will be coming from the Orange and Green Lines, we will meet in the new waiting room on the east end closest to Track 10 and the "Hub Express" cafe.

Sorry, that should be Track 1, not 10. Forgot the tracks are numbered the other way at North Station.... right to left as they are at South Station. Thanks Jack for pointing that out.

Edited by KevinKorell, 05 November 2008 - 04:30 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

Well, forget Mattapan, at least on Saturday! Ed just sent me this alert which the MBTA sprung on us today, indicating that the Ashmont branch of the Red Line is going to be bustituted all weekend south of JFK/U-Mass. We could do it on Friday night instead, but it would be slightly later in the evening ensuring total darkness for the whole trip.

DIVERSION: Beginning Saturday, November 8th, 2008 through the conclusion of service on Sunday, November 9th, 2008 a diversion of service will take place on the Ashmont branch of the Red Line between JFK/Umass and Ashmont for the purpose of ongoing station renovations. Substitute bus service will replace regular train service between JFK/Umass and Ashmont Stations. Savin Hill, Fields Corner and Shawmut will be CLOSED. Please allow extra time for your commute. 11/5/2008 11:19 AM

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

Even on the eve of the start of travels towards Boston, I have had both a late scratch and a late join. So our count as it's been for the past few days remains the same, albeit with the work of updating our contact list and guest list. There is always the possibility of walk-ons joining us to learn what a real RailFest is like. As I type this at 2 AM, a fall monsoon howls outside with a pesky heavy rain falling since this afternoon. Hopefully when my trip begains in a little over 6 hours the weather will clear for us. I hope this thing goes back offshore and does not affect the Boston area or anything in between here and there. Michael and I are going the scenic route via Cherry Hill to leave my car, NJT AC train Cherry Hill and Philly, Keystone between Philly and New York, and then Acela Express New York to Boston. Then Sunday the procedure gets reversed. You've been updated as much as I can. Now it's up to you. Begin travelling to Boston. Bring your money for meals and transit fares, not to mention hotels and Amtrak trips. We'll see you all up in Boston on either Thursday night, Friday morning, or Saturday morning. For those unable to go, we will try to provide updates from this fest as much as possible. Usualy that will be either from Club Acelas on the travel days, or someone's hotel as we wind down from each day.

Edited by KevinKorell, 06 November 2008 - 02:27 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users