#1 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Autumn Express 2016 will count toward the Mileage Tally. Just enter your date of travel (10/29 or 10/30), Train 805, and your start and end stations (NYP or NWK).  Your mileage will be recorded.

My calculation of the mileage is:

New York - 0

Newark - 10

Harrisburg - 184

Lancaster - 222

Newark - 368

New York - 378

Amtrak's on board handout typically shows the mileage. If that happens again this year, I'll defer to the official numbers.

#2 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:49 PM

Bill,

Amtrak's route guide/points of interest puts the mileage at 361.1 for those departing/returning to Newark and 371.2 for NYP.

However, they were also originally planning on turning us at a wye shortly before the Harrisburg station.  Instead a last minute change by NS saw us running further north to the Rockville Bridge and turning on the wye there, which included running up onto the bridge and getting some nice views.  The PA announcer claimed that was another 5 miles each way.

So I'll leave it up to you and your capable hands to decide how best to deal with all of this info and who's total mileage is more accurate, your's or Amtrak's.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

Bill,

Amtrak's route guide/points of interest puts the mileage at 361.1 for those departing/returning to Newark and 371.2 for NYP.

However, they were also originally planning on turning us at a wye shortly before the Harrisburg station.  Instead a last minute change by NS saw us running further north to the Rockville Bridge and turning on the wye there, which included running up onto the bridge and getting some nice views.  The PA announcer claimed that was another 5 miles each way.

So I'll leave it up to you and your capable hands to decide how best to deal with all of this info and who's total mileage is more accurate, your's or Amtrak's.

Thanks for the info. I'll add 10 miles for the move to and from Rockville and make the trip 382 miles.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

WFMZ-TV, Channel 69 in Allentown, PA, 10/29/16:

Amtrak's Autumn Express greeted with cheers in Lehigh Valley

Amtrak's Autumn Express rolled through the Lehigh Valley on Saturday.

It was the first time in decades a passenger train has been in the area.

​   Read

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users