• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:44 PM

I also like Raleigh and Charlotte (maybe Raleigh a bit more since I have not been there in a very long time).  I am not sure how spring break will affect the fares on the Silver Star.  The Star seems to have higher sleeper fares than the Meteor (one fewer sleeper), but that will not stop me.  (a room without a toilet will stop me however).  

Learning today that the Meteor likely will be canceled through the end of March, I would like to double down on my above post.  It appears that the Star will be running daily with 6 coaches and 5 sleepers (I think) (which may make the fares on the Star more reasonable).  I like even Raleigh or Charlotte even more today than yesterday.  :)

#22 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 01:26 PM

Raleigh sounds good.

#23 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:24 AM

I also like Boston for this summer.  

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:33 AM

With apologies to Jishnu, the weekend (and week) I was able to get off from work within the parameters most were able to do, involves the last weekend of the month, March 26-27.   And with Raleigh mentioned most and a lot easier to get to by a long distance train (that still runs daily) than Charlotte (which is served by the Crescent 5 days a week and in the wee hours), that is the choice of destination.   All future discussion of this event, which will be a little over 1 month in the serious planning, will be in this forum.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:42 AM

Beyond Raleigh.......   

The news today from Boston is that one branch of the Green Line Extension will be opening in March, but the other branch may not make the goal of May.   If we meet in July there still may be a chance.    The other issue, which was PTC work (& resulting busitution) being done on the Fitchburg commuter line, is wrapping up in early March so that should be a go for summer.

But we also would like to do another Amtrak excursion, up to St. Albans on the Vermonter.  If that is in the cards, the reason we DIDN'T do it last September is that it's the start of leaf peeper season that far north, and the rates at the nearby Hampton Inn were very high (and IIRC there were availability issues in Business Class on the weekends as well).   So Vermont could possibly also be done in the summer.

So thinking could be that rather than one trip in July, maybe do one in June and one in August, or else stick with July and September but know that Vermont and September don't go together.  It's only February so can play that by ear as the year progresses.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 05:52 PM

I am interested in both summer options. I will most likely make only one of the two trips if one is in June and the other is in July.

#27 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:45 PM

I will most likely join in anything that is not in August. In August I will be half way around the world 9.5 timezones away if things go according to plans.

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:36 AM

As summer gets closer, I continue to look for the best options for us to meet and ride trains somewhere.  While mask mandates and the limited number of trains available have eased, we run into a new problem.... Inflation.  Specifically, hotel rates have soared.  Since any excursion would include at least one night in a hotel, this presents an issue for many.   It is not an exaggeration to say that hotels on a weekend in Boston may go for over $300 or even $400 per night, which means that for anyone who might wish to spend an entire weekend in town, they would easily exceed $1,000 in hotel bills. And that is just an example; the same issue persists in other places, notably St. Albans where the one Hampton Inn adjacent to the station is in the mid $300's range on a selected date in July.

This is all very discouraging.  While for the sake of having a nice weekend of train travel with friends I could probably eat the costs for one weekend, I know some people won't be able to or can't justify that expense.

An idea I had would be long distance Amtrak trains, which would fulfill our requirement to ride trains together, but to stay away from major cities or other points where hotel rates are higher due to tourism.  It is not lost that long distance train travel in the summer is itself expensive and it is often hard to get sleepers available.

I believe the desire continues to also stay away from southern cities in the summer where temperatures will be uncomfortable.

I continue to be open to ideas as to how we can accomplish our desire to have Fests and Excursions as we have done before.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:23 AM

Sleeping car fares are going to be in the 600 to 700 range each way between the east coast and Chicago.  The cheapest fares are on the crescent with one night in New Orleans for the same weekend as Boston.  I know you said avoid hot cities.  Arrive 9 p.m depart 9 a.m. would not be too bad.  

#30 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:16 PM

With only one train from Florida daily (that does not connect to much), my options are limited.  If the selection works for me connection wise, price wise and termperature wise, I will do my best to attend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users