33 replies to this topic

#21 the_traveler

the_traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

Is there anywhere to get the Amtrak mileages for routes long gone? :huh:

I'm doing my own tally from the years prior to 2005, and need the mileages for some routes that do not operate any longer. :( These include routes like:
  • SLC-PDX-SEA (via the Pioneer)
  • SLC-Las Vegas (LVS?) (via the Desert Wind)
  • LAX-LVS(?) (via the Desert Wind)
  • LAX-NOL-JAX (via the Sunset Limited)
  • CHI-NYP (via the Broadway Limited / Three Rivers)

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

I think the only way to answer this question is to find somebody who has kept old versions of the Amtrak timetables from when those trains existed. I rode the NOL-JAX segment of the Sunset Limited three times (and never rode it other than bustitutionwest of NOL), the last time being in April of 2003. Unforunately, 2003 was the only year from 1995 to present that we did not have an Amtrak tally because that was the year we knew we would be in a state of transition from our Prodigy site to this one. The city code for Las Vegas, NV when the DW ran was LAS. The bus connections from Salt Lake City and from Los Angeles are regularly scheduled Greyhound runs, so they serve the Greyhound Terminal downtown, which is LVS. The LAS code came back when they started the Thruway connection from Needles, CA (now Kingman, AZ) to McCarran International Airport.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

Is there anywhere to get the Amtrak mileages for routes long gone? :huh:

I'm doing my own tally from the years prior to 2005, and need the mileages for some routes that do not operate any longer. :( These include routes like:

• SLC-PDX-SEA (via the Pioneer)
  • SLC-Las Vegas (LVS?) (via the Desert Wind)
  • LAX-LVS(?) (via the Desert Wind)
  • LAX-NOL-JAX (via the Sunset Limited)
  • CHI-NYP (via the Broadway Limited / Three Rivers)

I may have some of those mileages in my pile of old timetables. I'll check tonight when I get home (unless another pack rat beats me to it).

#24 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

Traveler, Head back over to AU and send a PM to Tom (aka MrFSS). He should be able to look up that info for you.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#25 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

Traveler,

Head back over to AU and send a PM to Tom (aka MrFSS). He should be able to look up that info for you.

Good advice. My timetables are either too old (1972) or too new (2001) to show those mileages.

#26 chuljin

chuljin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

How soon after a month ends is the thread for that month's submissions closed? I only recently joined the tally, 'catching up' by submitting January-July 2008 in the August thread (invoking 'and earlier trips'), with the idea that in future I'd a single post for a whole month's trips to that month's thread very early in the next month. I'd be trying to do so on the 1st of the next month, but in case I don't find the time, would the thread still be open as late as, say, the 3rd or 4th?

Thanks,
Chris

#27 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:16 AM

How soon after a month ends is the thread for that month's submissions closed? I only recently joined the tally, 'catching up' by submitting January-July 2008 in the August thread (invoking 'and earlier trips'), with the idea that in future I'd a single post for a whole month's trips to that month's thread very early in the next month. I'd be trying to do so on the 1st of the next month, but in case I don't find the time, would the thread still be open as late as, say, the 3rd or 4th?

Thanks,
Chris

There is no monthly deadline. A new thread is opened each month just to keep things tidy, but any mileage for earlier in the year can be submitted on the open thread. Whenever you get your August data together, just post it and it will be added.

The only deadline comes at the end of the year. We keep the prior year's tally open until the end of January. On February 1 the prior year is closed, so any miles for 2008 should be in by 1/31/2009.

#28 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

Well here is something I couldn't find in the new rules so I thought I would ask, What About the new ACES service. Since when you book you do it from Amtrak.com and it gives you an Amtrak Reservation number? Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it...

#29 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

Well here is something I couldn't find in the new rules so I thought I would ask, What About the new ACES service. Since when you book you do it from Amtrak.com and it gives you an Amtrak Reservation number?

Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it...

No, you did not miss it. I had not worked that one over yet. But, now I have.

The NJT ACES service will not count toward the Amtrak Mileage Tally.

The ACES will be stand-alone with Amtrak only providing reservation and ticketing service. You cannot book the ACES as part of an Amtrak reservation, even on the multi-city page. Trips on ACES will not earn AGR points. Since it is not an Amtrak connecting service and does not earn AGR points, it is not part of the Amtrak network and will not count on the mileage tally. The present NJT Atlantic City Line service from PHL is treated by Amtrak like a Thruway connection. Through ticketing to and from Amtrak is offered, and the NJT segments earns AGR points. For those reasons, the regular NJT ACY Line counts, and ACES will not.

I'm leaning toward having the ability to earn AGR points be the determining factor for Mileage Tally qualification. If a segment of a bus, train, or covered wagon service earns AGR points, then the miles will count toward the tally. If not, then they don't.

Bill

#30 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

I'm leaning toward having the ability to earn AGR points be the determining factor for Mileage Tally qualification. If a segment of a bus, train, or covered wagon service earns AGR points, then the miles will count toward the tally. If not, then they don't.

What? You mean I can get mileage credit for flying from EWR to BOS by Continental? :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users