#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

There are currently 3 from New Jersey too, despite the fact that 2 of the 3 Floridians have left NJ in the past couple of years for FL.  New Jersey has historically usually won the total of participants sent to Fests.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

I am all booked, arrving into IAD Friday evening, departing IAD Sunday night. The fare couldn't be beat at $167 round trip on United, and I don't have to take any days off, since I leavel late enough on Friday. I still have one day of holiday to enjoy on Monday after getting back. Looks like another day at Kennedy Space Center would be in order, or something like that.

Also got the $13 BAL - WAS fare, and a good rate at the railfan par excellance hotel! Now to astonish them again by making a special request for a railroad side room, higher floor. :)

#15 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

The latest on the DC Streetcar:

Update 10 a.m., Jan. 1: Mayor Vincent Gray says that the streetcar will be ready for passengers the week of Jan. 19.

The streetcar will not charge fares for the first 30 days of passenger operation. We'll have more on this story as it develops.

http://wamu.org/news..._before_opening

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Cool!! Thanks for the update.

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

So then if January 19th remains true, those remaining until Monday after the Fest might have a shot at riding on Opening Day.  But given that its availability might very well be missed by one day, I'm now taking suggestions as to what other Metro routes you may want to ride to fill the time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

So then if January 19th remains true, those remaining until Monday after the Fest might have a shot at riding on Opening Day.  But given that its availability might very well be missed by one day, I'm now taking suggestions as to what other Metro routes you may want to ride to fill the time.

Plus, the "promised" streetcar start is the "week of January 19." That week runs from Monday 1/19 to Sunday 1/25. They could start that next Sunday and, technically, still be starting during the "week of January 19."

Realistically, I can't get down to DC much before 9:30 on Sunday, and that assumes Amtrak in fact runs a Saturday schedule on 1/18 (not shown yet).  I was going to skip the streetcar regardless, so I'll leave suggestions for reworking the Sunday schedule to those who will be there from the start. 

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

We have turned the page into the year '15 and also now have 15 participants on the list ..... still all indicate they will be participating at least part of both days.

I am assuming at this point 2 weeks before the event that all who intend to be involved in the Fest have e-mailed me their intentions. If you plan to come and your name does not appear on the participant list, please e-mail me ASAP.  

Next step based on the participant list is to create the contact listing, so that we can be in touch in case of emergency. Those familiar with Fests know that I keep this list highly confidential, and I only send it out by e-mail to those whose names are on the list.  If you already indicated your hotel plans to me, please do so again, as the instructions until now were just to let me know you plan to attend and which days.  Please send the hotel name and location you plan to stay, as well as your cell phone number .  Again this is mainly so that we can contact everyone should there be an unforeseen issue such as weather that might result in a last minute change of plans.  It also helps participants know where others are staying so they can travel together in smaller groups.

There is no "Fest Central" hotel as some seem to think.  Everyone is capable of making their own hotel reservations at a place they feel appropriate and applicable to their budgets and loyalty programs.  We will be in various locations throughout the Washington area. It is up to the individual to ensure that they are able to get to the start point on time, and be able to get back to their hotel of choice once the Fest and any meal together follows.

I plan to complete a transit costs page this weekend and make it available to all so that you can plan your expenses accordingly.  That will be posted under a separate thread.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Plus, the "promised" streetcar start is the "week of January 19." That week runs from Monday 1/19 to Sunday 1/25. They could start that next Sunday and, technically, still be starting during the "week of January 19."

Realistically, I can't get down to DC much before 9:30 on Sunday, and that assumes Amtrak in fact runs a Saturday schedule on 1/18 (not shown yet).  I was going to skip the streetcar regardless, so I'll leave suggestions for reworking the Sunday schedule to those who will be there from the start. 

I would be highly surprised to see a "Grand Opening" on January 19.  Such an event would compete with the many events memorializing Martin Luther King, Jr. held on that date.  This would be "political suicide" for the new mayor.

Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users