#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

Let's make this real easy.   We start both days at Union Station. No doubt people will want to sit within the Club Acela if they are qualified to do so, and they may take others in as their guests.  Since we are not originating from there on an Amtrak train either day, there's only one way out. So if you are not in the Club Acela, meet us outside it as we will come out the exit door next to the entrance.

As for times, on Saturday since we depart 9:02 AM, we should begin to assemble around 8:30 or so, and around 8:45 AM or so we can go out into the station. Most MARC trains depart from tracks access by Gate A, so it's assumed we will go in that direction. When the train is announced, we go. If you get there and the track is already displayed and you don't see us, go out to MARC Train #476 and text someone to find out what car we ended up in.

***Sunday we leave on Metro at 9:50 AM.   If anyone wishes to take a walk over to see the streetcar station on the bridge, we should go about 9 AM so that we can be back in time to remain on that schedule. We should no doubt be headed into the Metro Red Line station no later than 9:40 AM since there will be a number of us getting through the faregates with various types of media.  I ask that those who don't live in the area and don't have a SmarTrip card (or the legacy paper farecard if you wish to go that route) please purchase what you need (the card AND the required stored value for your trips) BEFORE the group is travelling together so we don't get held back and miss a train.  So for those who wish to walk to the streetcar, the same as above applies. We will meet in or outside the Club Acela, and then it's a short walk to the escalator leading to the parking garage that we need to walk through.  We will begin the walk at 9 AM sharp.  If you want to forego this, then please meet us by the Metro station no later than 9:40 AM.

*** Subject to change. See Post #4 below

As always we try to remain as close as possible to the last published itinerary. We will NOT leave the starting points any earlier than the noted start times, no matter whether anyone wishes we do so or not.  We have left people behind by doing this in the past.  However once we are in travel, it is possible we could end up ahead of schedule as we can end up catching a previous train that is running late. If anyone is meeting us along a rail transit line,  you need to contact us on our whereabouts to ensure you can meet up with us. It may require "short turning" somewhere to meet the train we are on.   As for the scheduled Amtrak and MARC trains, we won't be early but we could be late.

IF we need to adjust our schedule because of extended headways due to construction or tunnels filling with smoke, the above could change. Stay tuned.

Edited by BillMagee, 16 January 2015 - 10:09 AM.
Changed Sunday Metro Schedules

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Kevin,
Thanks for the hard work. Can't wait.

#3 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

Also Mahalo for the Hard work, even though I miss this one I appreciate all you do.

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Heads up for the Sunday start. WMATA Metro track work has revised all the proposed WARF train schedules.  Kevin is aware of the issues and will be working on a new schedule for the Sunday rides.  One certainty will be that the Union Station meeting time will have to changed from 9:50am to probably an earlier time than planned. Stay tuned for an update here, or by text from Kevin.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Bill and Kevin for heads up and sorry Kevin about extra work. Extra thanks.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Every available moment in the Club Acela I have been working on a suitable alternate plan.  Thanks to Bill for alerting me when the weekend schedules were loaded onto the website.  Now I'm in travel again, but will have some free time later.  The Metro lines, while running on longer headways, are not timed to conveniently connect with one another nor allow for a suitable dwell at the endpoints.  A transfer at East Falls Church is particularly rough as it is out in the elements (maybe covered but cold) for 20 minutes or so.

The important segment is the Silver Line, and I am inclined to ditch the Vienna Orange Line portion and the following Green Line run to allow for the time we will be spending at stations such as Metro Center with the misconnects WMATA has caused.  This may result in us leaving Union Station a little later than planned so that we can still arrive at Tysons Corner at lunchtime.     Still a work in progress, will hopefully come up with a solution today or tonight.

To those less able bodied please keep in mind we may be standing idle for long periods of time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

Back at my hotel working on this now.  Not only do I need to worry about the Fest on Sunday, but also getting my own butt from Alexandria to Union Station by Metro on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

OK so the new plan for Sunday, not to repeat the entire story in this thread, is here.  

Since we are concerned here with the times we meet up, Saturday should remain the same.  Sunday we can still start to meet around 9 AM.  If anyone wishes to go out to see the Streetcar station, let's say we walk upstairs and out to it (or near it if it's raining) at 9:15 AM.  Then to catch the train at 10:02 AM we should aim to enter the Metro at about 9:50 AM.  If you just want to ride the Metro, you can either remain in the Club Acela or meet us at the Metro entrance around 9:50 AM.

Important --- If you do rely on Metro to get to the starting point, keep in mind the changed schedule and increased headways throughout the system.  You may need to leave earlier than you had planned.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users