CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

Sun Sentinel, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 4/30/15:

Bridge tender may ease boater fears about All Aboard Florida

For the first time in years, boaters have a full-time tender to communicate with at the New River railroad bridge in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

It's part of a six-month test by the U.S. Coast Guard that, if successful, could ease boater concerns about All Aboard Florida, which plans to run 32 trains a day on the Florida East Coast Railway tracks.

The marine industry insists All Aboard Florida's trains will keep the bridge down too long, choking access for boats and damaging a key industry in an area known as the yachting capital of the world.

Continue here w/video report.

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

(Very) Late Post

Sun Sentinel, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 11/6/15:

Boaters, All Aboard Florida make peace over New River bridge

The marine industry and the proposed All Aboard Florida passenger train are making peace over the New River bridge in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

A test by the Coast Guard has proved successful in trimming the time the railroad bridge needs to be closed, allowing both boats and trains to share the river — at least for now, leaders said.

Later, the marine industry would like to see an elevated bridge built over the river for the passenger trains to use instead, said Phil Purcell, executive director of the Marine Industries Association of South Florida.

"Guess what? I think we've worked it out," Purcell told a surprised audience at a boat show event attended by All Aboard Florida's president Michael Reininger.

Continue here.

#3 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:12 AM

One less hurdle, I guess.

Here in Seattle, there are two railroad drawbridge. I know the one on the Duwamish is usually in the up position, being on a light traffic branch. Ballard, I think is down most of the time, as it is the busy mainline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users