#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82519 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:51 AM

As far as the Cascades is concerned, so far it appears folks are opting for Business Class.  Surely some might do Coach as well, but I think it's worth the slight splurge particularly at lunchtime which in the past has brought some perks... at very least a free soft drink.

A helpful hint:  I found that a little bit of money was saved by booking 513 SEA-PDX and 11 PDX-LAX on the same ticket as opposed to booking them separately.  Since the two trains are a day apart there is no danger of missing this connection.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:39 AM

Waiting on the long, frustrating line in the Great Room at King Street Station in order to get a seat assignment for coach class is reason enough to opt for business.  Business class passengers quickly receive their seat assignments and boarding passes at the window in the ticket office off the main hall.  Coach passengers must wait in the long, serpentine line which wends its way across the entire floor before arriving at the booth where the conductors hand out the seat assignments.  We still use this primitive method in Seattle and Portland.  Best to avoid.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#13 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

I have never understood the need for this process on the Talgo trains.  I have had annoyances with with power hungry employees not wanting to assign window seats even though I was second in line for BC. 

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82519 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

As I post this hours before the start of May, we also approach the two-months-to-go point in advance of this Fest. The next project for me to work on is the document with room assignments on the long distance Amtrak trains, so we know where we will be travelling relative to everyone else on the same train. I'll do charts for the westbound Empire Builder CHI-SEA leaving on July 11th, the southbound Coast Starlight PDX-LAX leaving on July 15th, and the eastbound Southwest Chief LAX-CHI leaving on July 18th. In addition, I will happily do any other trains that you might be taking to or from the Chicago start/end point, which would be of particular interest to you if you are travelling with another Fest participant who is on the same train but different room.

So, if you have made your reservations for Amtrak long distance travel related to the Pacific Coast RailFest 2016 (as I hope you all have by now), please e-mail me the room information for the above trains as well as any others you might be travelling on related to this trip and wish to see displayed on a chart. Please include somewhere in the subject line PCRF and the word Amtrak.  Please don't post it here, as some may not wish to see information related to their travels made public.

Once we have collected enough information I will send the chart out by e-mail to the participants on the list of attendees.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

The sleeping car charts are one of my favorite rituals

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82519 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

So now as per announcement in other threads, we have 3 Amtrak "corridor" type trips.  513 SEA-PDX on July 14th, 566 LAX-SAN and 777 SAN-LAX both on July 18th.  As far as I know we will go Business Class on all three, although surely you are welcome to do Coach if you prefer.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5366 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Below are charts showing how the Amtrak trains on the PCRF itinerary performed in April. Click the thumbnail to enlarge each chart. Once one chart is open, you can scroll through the others or come back here and select another chart.

Westbound Empire Builder, #7, arriving Seattle
Attached File  007APR.png   405.85KB   0 downloads

Southbound Cascades, #513, arriving Portland
Attached File  513APR.png   396.44KB   0 downloads

Southbound Coast Starlight, #11, arriving Los Angeles
Attached File  011APR.png   416.78KB   0 downloads

Southbound Pacific Surfliner, #566, arriving Solana Beach
Attached File  566APR1.png   451.15KB   0 downloads

Northbound Pacific Surfliner, #777, arriving Los Angeles
Attached File  777APR.png   392.49KB   0 downloads

Eastbound Southwest Chief, #4, arriving Chicago
Attached File  004APR.png   437.55KB   0 downloads

Changed chart for #566 from San Diego to Solana Beach

#18 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

Another time honored tradition for railfests.  These will perused during those endless English department meetings . . .

#19 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

I like the format on these, Bill. 

#20 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

Thank you Bill for the performance charts (and mileage tally pie chart).  Your hard work and creativity is greatly appreciated.  

Edited by pennyk, 02 May 2016 - 04:22 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users