• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

I've been to Austin many times. The Amtrak station is right downtown but it's a weird area to walk to and from. Austin seems to finally be embracing transit and walkability but they seem to have left the Amtrak station out of the plan. You can walk from it, but mostly you'll have to use taxi or car service. The start of the Red Line isn't very close to the Amtrak station either. It's several blocks away. So hotels might be found best near the start of the Red Line. But Austin hotels can be a discussion for another thread.

Edited by saxman, 12 February 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

After speaking with my mom on the gold/yellow choices, she has a very slight preference for the Gold itinerary, but is fine with the yellow one too.  As for me, I'd prefer the Yellow as that would allow me to fill in a gap in my riding as I've never done the Eagle west of Fort Worth.  But I also have no objections to the Gold itinerary either.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

First, I know that Yellow and Gold look about the same here, but I never introduced a Yellow itinerary   Gold, yes.  I think that the reference to the southern portion of the Texas Eagle would mean the Orange itinerary.

Of all presented thus far, I feel the most bang for our buck (no backtracking) would be the Orange itinerary, and from the comments so far, those responding would concur.  I think we can eliminate the Brown option at this point (City of New Orleans). Orange is better than the Gold itinerary in that it avoids the bus ride.

My concern however, is how we can make the Orange itinerary work.. given the short overnight turnaround in San Antonio.   Besides the red eyes this will cause with minimal sleep (if any), there is another issue for those who might find a way to get a few hours sleep while briefly in town -- as I mentioned in the parent note. Most of us are loyal to the Hilton brand, and prefer its portfolio of properties.  There are none within walking distance.  I do not know if any of the Hilton family properties listed in the city of San Antonio have shuttles, nor whether they operate in the post midnight & early morning hours.  The answer might be derived from someone volunteering to work the phones and calling some of the properties listed on the website. I simply don't have the time for that.   At first glance I did not see any that mention they have a shuttle (or they would have made it to my own hotels page), but I could be wrong.   If not bound to Hilton, there are a Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, Grand Hyatt and Best Western Plus within a few blocks.  Just beyond the Grand Hyatt is Hilton Palacio del Rio, but that is already about 6 blocks that one might not wish to walk that time of night.

As Chris alluded to, the Austin part with regard to hotels should be a lot easier, given the daytime arrival and departure in town.  We'll find our way whether walking or getting a ride to where the hotels are.   And yes the hotels are closer to the MetroRail Red Line.  In fact its Downtown station is adjacent to the Hilton Hotel.

So again let's share ideas how we can get through what would be the roughest part of the week.  The rest of it, riding streetcars in New Orleans, light rail in Houston, MetroRail in Austin, and trips on the Crescent, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle, should work out fine. 

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

I phoned the Hampton Inn (.7 miles from the station).  They do not have a shuttle.

I also phone Hilton Palacio del Rio (.7 miles from the station).  They do not have a shuttle either.  The desk clerk to whom I spoke informed me that the Grand Hyatt may be the closest hotel to the train station.

Edit:  after looking at hotels.com, it appears that the Hampton Inn is .5 miles from the station. According to that site, the closest hotels are Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Best Western.  All apear to be reasonably priced.  Grand Hyatt is a bit pricey.

Edited by pennyk, 11 March 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Best Western Plus Sunset Suites and Holiday Inn Express are closer.    Grand Hyatt if walking, you have to go underneath a freeway overpass.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:29 PM

I like the Orange itinerary and I am ok with short turn around in San Antonio (with little or no sleep) or adding an extra day to the itinerary (and extra night's hotel stay)

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

In discussing this a little during Chat, adding a day in San Antonio would partially solve the dilemma .  Assuming we choose the Orange itinerary as it stands now, arriving Monday night/Tuesday morning just past midnight and having to leave at 7 AM Tuesday morning would result in little to no sleep.  I don't settle down immediately and would be nervous about getting up early thus not sleeping at all.   If we added a day in San Antonio, then we could sleep late, sightsee (there is the Riverwalk, Tower of the Americas, and Alamo), and have dinner.  Then earlier to bed Tuesday night to be able to awaken for a 7 AM departure on Wednesday morning.  That would shift everything from San Antonio though Austin a day later and have us end up Friday instead of Thursday.

Every upside has a downside.  Instead of hardly any sleep on one night, we would have to pay for two nights in SAS.   Thoughts?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

I like this plan the best. If 1 is late into san antonio its even a shorter nght of sleep. A good laindry day too.

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

I like the modified Orange (i.e. one extra day in San Antonio. Haven't been there in a while, and might as well get some sleep and lazily ride around on those cute canal boats or something during the day. :) I agree with Steve that it removes the risk of overly late 1 too.

The Crescent to NOL works out real nice from Orlando with the least expensive routing being ORL - 92 - RGH (see new station) - 79 - GRO - 19 - NOL.

19 at GRO is a little past midnight. A brunch in Raleigh and a dinner is Greensboro sounds like a pretty attractive proposition.

By July I expect to be completely unshackled from the shackles of job, by my own choice, so I should be able to participate in the whole thing, and all by train for a change.

#20 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

I like the modified Orange (i.e. one extra day in San Antonio. Haven't been there in a while, and might as well get some sleep and lazily ride around on those cute canal boats or something during the day. :) I agree with Steve that it removes the risk of overly late 1 too.

The Crescent to NOL works out real nice from Orlando with the least expensive routing being ORL - 92 - RGH (see new station) - 79 - GRO - 19 - NOL.

19 at GRO is a little past midnight. A brunch in Raleigh and a dinner is Greensboro sounds like a pretty attractive proposition.

By July I expect to be completely unshackled from the shackles of job, by my own choice, so I should be able to participate in the whole thing, and all by train for a change.

Congratulations on your impending retirement!  I am thinking about taking 98 to WAS and then 19 from there to NOL.  Granted, it is more expensive, but I will get meals on the Meteor and I think WAS is better station to kill time.  Boarding in GRO after midnight does not sound very attractive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users