• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:19 AM

Philly Fest #1 was a great time had by all yesterday. It was a 3 person fest Kevin Korell, Alan Burden, and Me. We travelled in three states and saw a vast variety of trains and systems. I left Market East at 751 and got to Trenton about 9am, then shortly later alan arrived on Amtrak 185 and Kevin came later. Then our group travelled on the brand new River Line and enjoyed it very much. We travelled it to its end in Camden then doubled back to the Walter Rand Transportation where we connected to Patco and took it over the Ben Franklin Bridge into Philadelphia and we got off at 8th St and went into the Gallery at Market East for lunch. It was a long walk but we made it to the other end of the concourse with our lunch to the regional rail station. We took the 1234 train to Norristown where we made a simple connection to the Rt 100 High Speed Trolley Line. The Fest group took this line to its terminus at 69th St where we got a free transfer to the Market Frankford Line. We went as far as 30th street where we would walk to 30th St Station. It was a bit of a hassle but we made to the station. Then we rode the R2 train to Newark leaving at 321. We all got on the 446PM train back to Philly, but Kevin and Alan got off in Wilmington and decided to transfer to a soon arriving amtrak train. In fact I believe I saw both trains pass me by as I was on the Septa train heading back. Thanks to Kevin and Alan for joining me and I certainly was impressed by the system as a whole. Hopefully a more detailed report is to come soon after I get home on Amtrak Friday. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82615 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:45 AM

It was a fun day, despite the almost constant snowfall (which was not sticking to the ground but clearly evident). My comments:

We travelled in three states...

Alan travelled in four.

...and Kevin came later.

I arrived in Trenton by car, but I was a little delayed by the dusting of snow from overnight that I had to clean off my car. In fact, by 9:05 AM, Alan and Jack had both already arrived in Trenton, and I had just left my house.

Then our group travelled on the brand new River Line and enjoyed it very much.

Day 4 of the River Line was very different from Day 1. Our southbound trip was a 2-car train, but they could have done with one car since ridership on this mid-morning trip was low. The several park and ride lots along the line was virtually empty (the one in Florence holds over 600 cars but there were only about 25 cars there).

Somebody was walking through the train with a clipboard, presumably monitoring ridership. I am not sure if he doubled as a fare inspector, but nobody actually challenged us for proof we had paid our fares.

At the Waterfront Entertainment Center end-of-the-line stop, we had a special treat as our train was un-MU'ed. Our two cars were automatically separated, so that only one of the cars that had come down from Trenton was returning north The other car went further south beyond the station to a storage area.

We travelled it to its end in Camden then doubled back to the Walter Rand Transportation...

...Center
As advertised, we were given free round trip PATCO tickets. It was also the very first time I had been inside this side of the WRTC; before River Line one had to go across Broadway to access the station. Alan and I will use our second trips on Saturday, and I will use Jack's return trip for Michael.

...we made it to the other end of the concourse with our lunch to the regional rail station. We took the 1234 train to Norristown...

Originally we were scheduled to take the 1:34 R6 trip, but since we were already running ahead of schedule (having taken the 10 AM River Line instead of the 10:30 trip), we took our lunch to go and were able to get further ahead. This helped us later on since the itinerary had called for a very tight connection between the subway and the first afternoon train to Newark, DE, a connection we probably would have missed.

The Fest group took this line to its terminus at 69th St where we got a free transfer to the Market Frankford Line.

It wasn't a free transfer. When we boarded the 100 trolleyat Norristown TC, we paid $3.10; $2.50 of that was a two-zone fare, and the other 60 cents was the transfer charge.

We went as far as 30th street where we would walk to 30th St Station. It was a bit of a hassle but we made to the station.

It was the usual hassle crossing 30th Street to get between the subway and rail stations by the same name. However it was less hassle than the January fest, since the new kiosk is now open (without any elevators working yet, but with a much wider and brighter stairway).

Then we rode the R2 train to Newark leaving at 321. We all got on the 446PM train back to Philly...

Same equipment, turned at Newark. Also an event of note is that the outbound R2 had 5 cars, which is rather long even for a rush hour consist (and this was the very early fringe of the evening rush hour). When we got to Wilmington, we had to switch to another part of the train. For the second time this day, our train was being split, and we were riding in the wrong part. The rear three coaches became an earlier trip from Wilmington back to Center City and beyond, while only the front two coaches went beyond Wilmington to Churchman's Crossing and Newark.

...but Kevin and Alan got off in Wilmington and decided to transfer to a soon arriving amtrak train.

It was two different trains. Alan took an Acela Express (#2172) that came within ten minutes of our arrival back in Wilmington from Newark, DE. Since the Acela Express does not stop in Trenton, I had to wait another 20 minutes for a Regional (#178). Both of our trains arrived and departed Wilmington on time.

As soon as my ticket was collected, I went back to the cafe car and got that nice large Black Angus cheeseburger I had been craving all day.

My train passed Jack's just past the Darby station; in fact it appeared that the SEPTA train had stopped next to SEPTA's Elmwood Depot trolley yard.

Thanks to Kevin and Alan for joining me and I certainly was impressed by the system as a whole.

You're welcome. We did have quite a productive day on the rails!

Hopefully we will see others for Day 7 of the River Line this coming Saturday.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:00 AM

...and Kevin came later.

I arrived in Trenton by car, but I was a little delayed by the dusting of snow from overnight that I had to clean off my car. In fact, by 9:05 AM, Alan and Jack had both already arrived in Trenton, and I had just left my house.

Alas, no I hadn't. :( My train was late, reaching Trenton at 9:17 instead of 9:05 AM. :o

Thanks to Kevin and Alan for joining me and I certainly was impressed by the system as a whole.

You're welcome. We did have quite a productive day on the rails!

I'll second that. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users