#21 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

In the meantime, think too about names. Something new, or do we go with the old Big Apple RailFest (BARF), Metro New York RailFest (MNYRF), or drop the word Metro resulting in just NYRF?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#22 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

That looks good to me, but unfortunately I won;t make it to this one. On that Sunday I will be starting my cross-India (west to east) ride on the Pune - Howrah Duronto Express to get to Kolkata from Pune. A 28 hour ride in AC First Class, food included, on some new trackage for me.

#23 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Looks good I would be flying in saturday morning and leaving Sunday night if I make it. As far as the name I would go with NYRF.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 16 September 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#24 LouP

LouP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

I can hardly wait for this fest as I haven't seen anyone in over a year. Plus it's in my back yard so to speak. When my wife or my stepson go by car to New York they usually park in Flushing.

#25 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:43 PM

Aloha

I feel like being silly and call it Nathan's Rail Fest. I hope enough changes so I can have lunch at Nathan's CI again.

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

Silly me.  Don't know how I overlooked it, but another argument for going to Seattle - besides First Hill Streetcar -- is the extension of LINK light rail to University of Washington.  The latter should open in early 2016.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Great rail fest plan for January.

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Another option that can be added for January, something else we could do that was not possible until recently, would be to ride on the NJT Raritan Valley Line through Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station without a change of trains.  We don't have to go out as far as Raritan or High Bridge, but could short turn at Plainfield or somewhere closer. Plainfield works well if the trains are on schedule.  We would have to go outbound with the change of trains in Newark since it would be the tail end of the rush hour, and then the return would be direct to New York Penn.  It would be dark for all or most of this trip, but it's the principle of not needing to change trains.

This would have to be done on the Friday night since through trains don't operate on weekends or during rush hours.  If there is interest in this it can be added for Friday evening.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

Another option that can be added for January, something else we could do that was not possible until recently, would be to ride on the NJT Raritan Valley Line through Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station without a change of trains.  We don't have to go out as far as Raritan or High Bridge, but could short turn at Plainfield or somewhere closer. Plainfield works well if the trains are on schedule.  We would have to go outbound with the change of trains in Newark since it would be the tail end of the rush hour, and then the return would be direct to New York Penn.  It would be dark for all or most of this trip, but it's the principle of not needing to change trains.

This would have to be done on the Friday night since through trains don't operate on weekends or during rush hours.  If there is interest in this it can be added for Friday evening.

I rode the NJT Raritan Valley Line from Westfiled to Newark then to NY Penn Station on Sunday (changing trains).  I would be interested in doing a one-seat ride in January.

Also while I was in NY, I walked to the new Hudson Yards station and walked down and then up the stairs (for additional exercise).  The escalators were very steep, and I can see why it was suggested by a news reporter that women avoid skirts.  BTW, everything was still nice and clean.  :)

#30 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:40 AM

Added a Friday evening Raritan Valley trip to the potential tentative itinerary.  Again nothing is official -- this is just to see what it might look like.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users